Christian Weddings
Options

Major prayers needed (Long, sorry!)

Hey everyone!

FI's family could use some major prayers right now.  A little backstory.

Out of FI's 7 siblings, only 1 is blood, 2 are adopted, and 4 are steps.  One of the adopted siblings was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and has had a lot of issues growing up, especially emotional.  She is now 21, and living with a druggie boyfriend in a house that her dad pays for, including all of their food and bills.  FI's dad fully supports them financially, and neither of them have a job.  Now, we know that FI's sister would not have the emotional capability to ever have a full time job, the rest of the family does not agree with his decision to let them just "live" without any responsibilities.  We all know that they drink (before she turned 21) and do drugs, and people suspect the boyfriend to be dealing as well.  All this time, FI's father has been complacent about the situation and has taken a very laissez-faire approach.  The rest of the family has not been a fan of this from the start, but no one has been able to get through to FFIL.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago.  We have now found out that FI's sister is 5 months pregnant, and is due in mid-August.  This will be her second pregnancy, her first ending in a miscarraige.  The sad part about the situation is that FI's dad (and step-mom) kept it a secret to the rest of the family (except for another step-sister who works at FI's dad's office, but she was sworn to secrecy), until FI's brother and wife came up to visit and saw the sister.  Obviously, it's rather hard to hide a pregnancy at this point!  FI's step-mom let everyone know in a short email the next day.

Here are the facts.  She is between 16-18  months pregnant.  She was taking drugs, drinking, and smoking in the early stages until she found out she was pregrant.  She says she's not doing drugs or drinking now, but continues to smoke.  While she is taking pre-natal vitamins now, she has YET to go see an  OB-GYN.  Her dad had set up an appointment, but she canceled it at the last minute, and has no intention of going unless she is really pressed into it.  Who knows the problems this baby is going to have at this point, and it terrifies me to think about the future (or lack there of) that this baby will have because of the actions of her "parents".  

So far, there has been absolutely no talk about what will happen with the baby once it's born.  FI's dad is staying very laissez-faire about it all.  There is absolutely no way that FI's sister and boyfriend have the capability to take care of a newborn baby, especially with a baby that is BOUND to be born with a multitude of problems.  What's really sad is for the sister who was sworn to secrecy, because she and her husband are unable to have kids, and have been trying to adopt for over a year now.  But bringing this up is just a slap in the face.  

So I guess there are so many things to pray for in this situation.  First of all, major prayers for the health of this unborn baby that the actions of her mom have not and will not cause damage to the fetus.  Secondly, prayers for wisdom on FI's father that he may see the damage he is supporting.  Honestly, if he stopped providing them money, the boyfriend would be gone in an instant.  It would be so much better to put the money in getting her the physicological help she needs and put her in a home for expectant mothers.  And prayers for the rest of the family who are all very concerned and conflicted over this.  Pray that we have the right words to say and the right kind of love to show.

FI loves his sister and is so worried for her right now.  She has not attended a major family function in around 5 years now, and wants her (and yes, even the boyfriend who wont' let her go anywhere without him) there at the wedding, even if only for the ceremony.  Who knows if they will come, but man....I don't even know what to think right now....

Thanks for all those who survived reading all that and for those who are praying for this situation!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
hide
Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
"And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011

Re: Major prayers needed (Long, sorry!)

• Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll certainly be praying.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, what a difficult situation for the family and for the baby.  I'll be praying too!
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm praying!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She's between 16 and 18 months pregnant? I'm sure that's a typo..

I'll definitley keep his family in my prayers. Keep us updated.
  • Options
    twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whoops, 16-18 WEEKS pregnant.

And thanks to all those praying!  It is a very trying time in his family right now.  FMIL and sisters (including the pregnant sister) are hosting a shower for me on Saturday so we'll see how that goes.  Most likely the sister will not be there, but it'll be interesting to see the dynamics of the family!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear all this. I will pray!! 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    This is such a sad situation.  I have a cousin who is a lot like your FI's sister (also adopted) except that she has now had 5 children.  She has emotional issues and has never been able to keep a job.  But my aunt and uncle have practiced tough love and while they have always been there for her and her children (and my uncle occasionally hires her boyfriend to do work for him), they do not support her or the children financially.  

I hope that you will be able to look past the situation and her poor choices to be able to demonstrate true Christian love to her.  I speak from experience knowing that it is so difficult to do and it is really hard for me not to judge my cousin for her actions.  But God is sovereign and can help you both through this.

I'll say a prayer for this family.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    I hope it is okay - I added this to the prayer request thread.
  • Options
    twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate Joesgirl!

FI stopped by their house today, and had to wait a couple minutes before she opened the door because they were quickly cleaning up their mess inside.  The whole house still smells of pot and she admits she smokes a joint a day.  There's been no preparation for a baby, nor is there room in that little house.  FI's sister isn't even one bit excited about it.  BUT, she does finally have a OB-GYN appointment set for mid-May.  At least it's a start!

Throughout this whole situation I have actually been more upset by my FFIL than FSIL because of his laissez-faire attitude and not thinking it's a big deal.  FSIL doesn't have the capability of making a lot of decisions for herself when it comes to planning for the future, and FFIL hasn't really done anything to help her but feed this really bad situation with her and her boyfriend.  

FI did talk to her about the wedding and how we wanted them to come, so she actually filled out the RSVP card!  If she actually does show up, it would be the first big family event in at least 5 years for her.  Whether she'll stay past the ceremony, who knows, but it's a start.  

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards