Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Bella Photography = One Disaster after another

So, my wife and I live in So Cal.  We got married in August 2008.   We were looking for a photographer to photograph our wedding which was going to be held in Northern California.Our wedding venue (Marriott) suggested we look into their partner called Bella Photography.Bella is essentially a huge organization that subcontracts out to independent photographers, much the way Home Depot states they can install a kitchen in your home but really they're subcontracting out to "prescreened" independent contractors.So, we met with them.  It was a slick presentation.  They looked professional.   This is basically the last time we were satisfied with their services.Where to begin with everything that went wrong?  I'll just make a list.1. We specifically asked for our photographers to start at a particular time.  We had 2 hired.  A senior "bella" photographer and a "junior" bella photographer.   Bella offered no guidance how to time them, so we picked some start times.  When we met with our senior photographer, he said "that makes no sense" and suggested some times.  Bella would not let us change our start/stop times even though their "professional" recommended a change.2. We asked for EVERY table to be photographed so we can reminisce when become old about how came to our wedding.    The photographers were too busy gorging themselves on the food we provided them to do this.3. When we got our "digital photos" there were numerous blurry shots and way too many black/white shots.  We put in our preferences we prefer color.4. When we received our digital photos, about 4 hours of photographs from the junior photographer was missing.  Bella initially told us we were wrong and that we received all of the photos.  Only when I started to get angry, did they bother listening.   They said they'd investigate the matter.  Weeks went by.  No response.  I tracked down the junior photographer myself, contacted him, and fortunately, he kept copies and submitted them back to bella.   Only then, did they "magically" contact me a few days later saying they had computer problems but they had their photographer re-submit them.  SHADY!!!!   I did all the work.  They are a bunch of liars.5. They first assigned us to a customer service rep who was never in her office.  She was sick, or on vacation.  She flaked on several "phone" appointments.   Did anyone from their office call us to tell us she wasn't available?  No.   She gave me attitude when I suggested we get transferred to another rep who was more available.6.  Her supervisor assigned us to a customer service rep who didn't know a thing about customer service.  Again, another nonresponsive customer service rep.   He never responded to our numerous calls or emails.   We found out later that he had been fired a month earlier and nobody was checking his email or his phone messages.  Nobody bothered to even stick an automatic reply message "stating, that he's not working their anymore and to contact the office to get reassigned."7.  For all the headaches, they upgraded our wedding album to their longer-60 page version and gave us another 100 print credit.    So, what did they do when they submitted the first draft to us??   They only gave us a 50 page album.   We called to complain.   They apologized.   It took another month to get the 60 page draft.8.  The quality of the first 60 page draft was ridiculous.   It had a nice feel to it maybe but I had several bouts of deja vu.  They repeated the same photos in several places.   9. It took them a month to swap out about 3 photos.   A MONTH?!?!?       I also requested the position of two photos to be switched.   They ignored this request.   I had to point it out over the phone to the customer service rep who assured me we wouldn't be charged for the revision.10. Another month passes by and we got another draft.  Did they fix it?  No.   Why?   Well, after talking to our customer service rep, the "designer" was confused.   I asked why we weren't contacted to clarify things.   His first answer was "well, normally the bride is the only one who submits comments, so our designer was basing the changes on if the bride was talking."    This made absolutely no sense because the references to the changes were all about the groom's photos.11. Another phone call, and I'm getting more irate.  We're told it will probably take 1 month to get a revision done (we're talking about switching, cropping, zooming, and pasting 3 photos) and another 3 months to print up the album because they're busy.   I reminded him it's been 14 months since we've been married and they need to speed it up.   He told me he can probably cut it down to a 2 month wait.My advice, don't listen to Marriott who is obviously getting kickbacks from Bella.   Don't deal with the "Home Depot" of wedding photographers.     For your special day, pick a smaller company or an independent to take care of you photography needs.Bella is way overpriced, and their service STINKS with a CAPITAL "S".I'm sure there are people who have had positive experiences with them.  My wife and I are not one of them.  I think it's invaluable to hear positive and negative reviews of companies.

Re: Bella Photography = One Disaster after another

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you had so much trouble with Bella Photography! There are so many advertisements let alone posts in here stating that they are the best photographers ever. It sucks that such a well known company will unfortunately have more disaster stories if they can't get their stuff together. I wish you luck on getting the rest of your album done.p.s. did you get a rights released CD with all your wedding day images on it?
    May 21st,2011
    "to make you feel my love"
    dreamaandavid.weebly.com/

Photo taken by Bit of Ivory Photography
  • crystal0326crystal0326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could not agree with with you more. My sister also used them for her wedding and had a horrific experince with them. The photographer was mean and she even said that the list of "must-have" photos flew out the window on the way to the church. Bad business and very unprofessional.
  • efitzgerefitzger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i used them too and I feel like the one being used.  Not only did I have a very similar experience to you, but my pictures were bad.  When I complained about the quality it took them a month to respond and when they did they told me all the pics met their standards.  Terrible standards cause over 56% of my photos were blurry, the content was boring and posed.  yuck. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards