Rhode Island
Options

Quality, budget photographer?

I just began my search for a photographer for our July 31st wedding ceremony & reception. We heard stories of people hiring RISD student photographers and being very happy with the results. However, I realize that a professional photographer is extremely necessary to get the pictures I want from my day. I'm not opposed to hiring a student or intern photographer with prior wedding experience. I like more of the photojournalist style of photography-- candids and relaxed "intentional" moments.
We are looking to pay $50/hour for six hours and all we want is a disk of images. Does anyone have any reccommendations for students/professionals who are looking for some extra work for this price? Has anybody has a similar experience in their wedding photographer search?
Thanks!

Re: Quality, budget photographer?

• Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should try posting this on craigslist too. There maybe some student photogs who are looking to build their portfolio.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    These days, all anyone wants is the disc.  If you want that, plus 6 hours, for $300....I imagine you'd have to stick to students.  Remember, just because the photographer is shooting for 6 hours, doesn't mean their work is done then.  They have to go through all their pics, edit, backup all of them, make your disc, etc.  If they have a blog, they'll need to separate out which pics will go onto the blog, and edit and post those separately.  It's a lot of work.  We spent ~15% of our total budget on photography.  I took some classes at RISD.  Lindsay Elgin is the head of the digital photography dept for continuing education.  She might be able to help you with students' names. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    erynashleyerynashley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We almost went with a great RISD student, but ended up going professional at the last minute. PM me for her info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards