Moms and Maids

MY BROTHER IS ENGAGED! IM MAID OF HONOR!

Hi everyone!
Well my only brother just got engaged to his gf of almost 3 years.  I was picked as MOH since im my brothers only sibling and my future sister in law's brother will be the BM because he is her only sibling. (I think this is very cute and fitting). She wants to throw an engagement party, where are some good ideas for them? Thanks!

-Jennifer

Re: MY BROTHER IS ENGAGED! IM MAID OF HONOR!

• Congrats!  I think your future sister-in-law may have the wrong idea about engagement parties.  The couple does not decide they want one.  They are like showers - they are a gift and they are optional.  If someone decides to host one for them that is great!   Otherwise, they don't get one.  I'm a 3 time MOB and have never ever been invited to one or had one thrown for me.

Maybe you can chat with them about this so they realize it is inappropriate to decide they want one and save them the embarrassment. They most definitely would rude and entitled if they hosted it themselves.  Help them out here.
  • Congrats!  And ditto kmmssg on the party. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    Congrats!  That's very exciting :-)

Ditto PPs about the bride and groom not hosting their own event, see if you can come up with a way to hint at that to them.  If they want to host a dinner for the two families to meet that's totally okay - they just shouldn't call it an engagement party b/c that implies it's in honor of them and then it's inappropriate.

If you're interested in throwing a shower or bachelorette (or if someone does offer the throw them an engagement party) the number one rule is that ONLY wedding guests can be invited to any pre-wedding party; so you have to involve the bride and groom by getting their list.  But please remember it's not your JOB to host any parties whatsoever! 

Most of all just have fun though; and feel free to come here with any questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards