New York

Kind of Personal

So... I have been on the pill for about 10 years.  I got started on it very young (16 or 17) b/c I had a horrible time w/ my period.  I used to get annoyed with my friends when they would complain about cramps and stuff, but then I started to get ridiculously sick every month (throw up for 2-3 days, then eventually when I didn't have anything left to throw up, I would dry heave... yuck.  I couldn't even hold down water.  Terrible.)  Anyway, I got started on Ortho Tri Cyclin.  Life was good.
Over the past few years, I have begun to develop a "mask of pregnancy" which is darkened blotches of skin on your face, under your eyes and on your forehead... almost like a mask.  It is not horrible... foundation will cover it up, but I have been getting more and more self conscious about it.  Now with the wedding coming up, it bothers me more than ever.
After doing lots of research on the internet, I learned that this can be a side effect of birth control (a big sarcastic "grrrrrrrrrrreat").
I discussed this with my women's health practicioner who slightly lowered the dose of estrogen in my BC pills and sent me to see a dermatologist.  He, of course, suggested I stop the pill altogether.  Now I am in a pickle.

So... my question to you is... do you have experience with any other form of birth control?  I know this is a very personal question, but I have done lots of research on the internet and I just want to talk to real people.

Please tell me what you think?  I have friends on Mirena (spell?) and really don't want to go this route... it can leave permanent scarring and I definitely want to have children in the near future.  I don't want to spend the next year feeling crappy, but I also don't want to turn into zebra woman (Kev thinks I am being dramatic... go figure).

If you have tried or are on any form of BC other than the pill (or if you have also had any issues with the pill) help me out here.

Thanks a bunch ladies!
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Kind of Personal

• edited December 2011
    I use yasmin as do a few of my friends (one has been on it for over 10 years) and I've never heard of a problem.  My FSIL stopped her BC for the same issues you were having, she grew a "mustache" that was really just a dark shadow from the BC.  I believe she was on ortho, but I can find out tomorrow.
  • kariannecarrkariannecarr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm on yasmin currently, and I'm not having any issues, my doctor has me taking calcium though as well as a precaution.

In the past I used the Nuva ring. I didn't have any side effects using that either, other than slight weight gain, but nothing I couldn't handle. It's just more of a pain to deal with than the pill. When you pick it up from the pharmacy its cold, and has to be refridgerated before use. Heating it up is what makes it release the hormones.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • liilprincessliilprincess member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would consider NuvaRing... the dosage of hormones in NuvaRing can be lower than other methods of birth control because the hormones are delivered right where they need to go!  It is just as effective as the pill when used properly.  Also, if you're wondering if he'll feel it during sex - the answer is probably not, but if so (and if it even bothers him or you - I have heard some guys like it! - sorry if that's TMI) you can take it out for a short time to have sex if you'd like. 

Second of all - and I am not sure if this has anything to do with you turning into a Zebra - but (from my understanding) there are at least 2 types of traditional BC pills: monophasic and biphasic or triphasic... Triphasic pills deliver a different dose of hormones each week of the month and are often associated with more side effects because taking it results in the hormone levels in your body constantly fluctuating.  Monophasic pills, on the other hand, deliver the same dose during three weeks of the month, followed by a week of lower dose hormones (plus vitamins, in some cases) or basic placebo pills, depending on the brand.  Ortho Tri-Cyclen (as the name would imply) is triphasic.  Perhaps a monophasic pill would serve you better?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards