Registry and Gift Forum
Options

New and I have a question. :)

Hi. I'm new on this board. My wedding is June 4th of 2011. I am a young bride, and I have never lived on my own before, so I have nothing as far as household items. FI is in the military so he currently sleeps on a mattress on the floor and lives with another couple so has no need to buy things. So we are literally starting out with nothing. We will have to buy furniture also! So I was just wondering, what are some things you recommend we register for? Thanks in advance! :)
Anniversary

Re: New and I have a question. :)

• Options
    Most of the typical registry stores (Macy's, Crate&Barrel, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, William-Sonomoa) have checklists on the registry sections of their websites.  I would start there and see what items on the lists appeal to you.

To get started, think about:
    Linens - towels, bedsheets, comforters, tablecloths, napklins
    Drinkware - everyday glasses and/or crystal glassware
    Dishes - everyday and fine china
    Silverware
    Cookware - pots and pans, mixing bowls, spatulas
    Small appliances - toaster, mixer, coffee maker
  • Options

There is a sticky note on top that gives some ideas.
    I would start with some basics....dishes and flatware, small kitchen appliances (toaster, microwave, coffee maker, blender, etc.), small kitchen gadgets, pots and pans, bedroom stuff such as sheets, comforter, pillows, blankets, bathroom stuff...the list can really go on and on.

If you go to one of the main department stores or Bed Bath and Beyond to register they can give you a print out of all the things you will "need".  It can be helpful to remind you of things you need, but take some of it with a grain of salt.  Remember, their goal is to try to get you to register for as much as possible so if you see something on that list you don't think you need, don't feel like you have to put that on your registry.  They will try to push fine china on you....if that's something both you and your fiancee really want then go for it, otherwise I don't know if it's worth the price considering there are many more things you really need.  Have fun and good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I have looked at Macy's online. I live in a small town so my big places are probably going to be Wal-Mart and Macy's and two specialty stores around here. The closest Macy's store around here is an hour away so I'm sure the majority of the people that get us something will get something from Wal-Mart or the specailty stores, so I'm going to try to make those my biggest registries. I am going with my sisters tomorrow(FI won't be home again until January and that is when our first shower will be so I have to register without him. :( ) I have started my registry at Macy's. I did do fine china just because my mom says I may not want it now but I might want it later, and that is something a lot of people around here will be looking for on my registry. Have either one of you registered at Wal-Mart? Do they have good items?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You can always register at places strictly online - BB&B, even Amazon.  I am personally not a huge fan of Wal-Mart.. I don't think their quality is great.. you're better off buying from Macy's or BB&B.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Dishes with a few matching serving pieces
    Silverware
    Glasses (everyday, wine, etc)
    Pots & Pans
    Cooking Utensils
    Blender/Toaster/Hand Mixer
    Napkins
    Bedding
    Towels
    Board Games
    Decor Items

Most sites have a check list.  It is a good spring board.  Register for things you will use and enjoy! 

PS - I loved my Macy's registry :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Most places you choose to register will have a checklist.  For a lot of us, it's useless, but for you it might be perfect to recommend things you might not think of needing. 

I always suggest to people to just go shopping one day and make a mental wish list.  Start talking about what kinds of things you want and need before you get the gun.  Then you'll have a much clearer head when you actually are adding things to your registry.
  • Options
    I'm going to slightly disagree with a PP and say that if you DO want china, go ahead and register for it. If you don't end up getting your everyday dinnerware/essentials, then you can return it and get your essentials. A lot of people love to give very traditional gifts for weddings - my cousin got 12 place settings of hers and she only registered for 8 (one of our aunts knew the pattern but didn't use the registry, found it at an outlet store for a steal). 

A LOT of people register for both every day dinnerware and formal china. I don't see why you shouldn't do that if you genuinely want (and will use) your china. My parents used theirs almost every Sunday - if you're going to stick it in a box, then maybe you leave it off, but you are more likely to have someone want to give it to you now than at any other point in your life. Just my 2 cents, and for context I'm from a super southern small town, so this may be coloring my opinion somewhat.
  • Options
    I did register for China. I am also from a southern small town (in TN) and a lot of older ladies around here love to get brides their china. :) I am in love with my china! It isn't really fancy, so I can use it for special occasion dinners, or just when my family comes to visit. I registered for 8 place settings at Macy's. Another hometown store also had my pattern so I registered for it there considering the closest Macy's is at least an hour away from where I live. But I also tried to keep in mind the people from SC, which is where my FI is living right now.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards