Chit Chat
Options

Trying not to let this bother me...but need encouragement!

First off: I have always heard wearing white to a wedding that's not yours is a big no-no and I've never done it, but wasn't sure on this....

My FMIL went dress shopping this past weekend. I got a text message from my future sis in law, asking what the wedding colors were. I said black and gold, bridesmaid's dresses are black with harvest gold sashes and my dress is champagne. (FMIL and sis in law have both seen it).

We go to dinner Saturday night over at the in-laws house and FMIL tells me she wants me to see her dress. When she pulled the bag off, I thought my stomach hit my shoes. It is EXACTLY the same color as my wedding dress. It even slightly resembles my dress. I said nothing, nodded and told her it was very pretty.

I know I can't dictate what people not in the wedding party are wearing but it feels like she did this BIG TIME on purpose. She's a very 'unique' person and has basically made this wedding planning deal a LOT more stressful than it probably should be so I'm already at wits end with her but I've never said anything to her. Just grinned and beared it.

Guess I just needed to vent. I don't know what else I could possibly do about the situation other than 'grin and bear it'.

Re: Trying not to let this bother me...but need encouragement!

• Options
    I second My Name Is Not!
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Options
    If it really bothers you then I think you should say something nicely to her.  Its your day, not hers.  I would be upset too, especially that she is doing it on purpose.

Ughh...
  • Options
    I assume she knows what your dress looks like?  If she does, then I'd just make a sarcastic comment like "Oh my goodness, that looks just like my wedding dress, how cute, we get to be twins!"  Giggle, walk away, and let her decide if she still wants to wear.  Ditto what other ppl said, if she wears it, she looks bad not you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trying-not-let-this-bother-mebut-need-encouragement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2582a3d8-52d0-48fd-9927-13d9cf0464bfPost:a9d101cc-bc56-423d-b21f-5b5ef0a3eb3e">Re: Trying not to let this bother me...but need encouragement!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I assume she knows what your dress looks like?  If she does, then I'd just make a sarcastic comment like "Oh my goodness, that looks just like my wedding dress, how cute, we get to be twins!"  Giggle, walk away, and let her decide if she still wants to wear.  Ditto what other ppl said, if she wears it, she looks bad not you.
    Posted by jennyp08[/QUOTE]

I like the twins remark. It's a friendly way of saying, "Hey, old woman, I'm onto you!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards