Catholic Weddings

first meeting with prioest today

Hi ladies,

Hope all is well, havent been around much lately, but I hope everyone's planning is going smoothly!

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I have my first meeting with the priest who will (hopefully) marry us and am unsure of what to expect.  What was your first meeting like? Any questions he asked you that really suprised you?  Im just not sure if its going to be more personal about us this time around, or if it will be more about the overview of whats expect for us to get married in the church

Quick background, im catholic, fiance is not.  I live in VA and just joined a church there (we'll be doing prematiral classes there), but am getting married in Md at the church I grew up in.  This priest doesnt really know me as he has only been there a few years (after I moved away)

Just a little nervous about it so any advice is appreciated.  I would assume its just a getting to know you type thing, but I cant help it, I  worry about everything :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: first meeting with prioest today

• edited December 2011
    Our first meeting was very laid back.  The priest wanted to get to know us.  Where we grew up, what our jobs/studies were, how we met, etc.  The priest described the wedding preparation process to us and told us what paperwork would need to be filled out, the Pre-Cana class we would need to sign up for, and the FOCCUS survey and counseling we would need to do. 

We didn't get into anything indepth at the first meeting.  The only paperwork we did at the first meeting was to give the priest our contact info and set a date.  We could have chosen to set a date later if we had wanted. 

The first meeting really was stressful at all.  Our priest didn't ask any probing questions or press us on why we wanted to get married.  Just be yourself and be honest with the priest.
  • edited December 2011
    We also did our pre-cana at a different church from where we were married. H (then FI) moved before I did and had already gotten registered and started going to church where we completed our pre-cana.

The first meeting was basically us telling the priest a little about ourselves, our backgrounds, how we met, etc. Then he gave us some paperwork to fill out for the dioceses where we currently reside. He then asked us the name of the priest and church where we were getting married so he could contact the priest that would marry us. He asked them if there were any other requirements we needed to fullfill for our home dioceses. We were required to do an EE weekend.

In between getting the paperwork back to him and having a few more meetings we did the FOCCUS test and pretty much wrapped things up. The 2 priests talked and made sure the priest that was marrying us had everything he needed. And that was pretty much it.

We did confession with our home priest since we were in town about a week before the wedding. We also met with him a time or two to discuss any last minute concerns and the logisitics of the ceremony and rehearsal.
  • edited December 2011
    Our first meeting was also pretty uneventful. We talked a bit about marriage and vocations and ourselves. We went through the steps we would need to take in order to complete marriage preparation. We looked at dates (but did not set one for another couple of months). We had an opportunity to ask questions.

I would go in with an open heart and open mind. Be honest. Things should work out just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards