March 2013 Weddings
Options

Shower!

Hey ladies!! So my FMIL is throwing me a bridal shower next weekend... yay! I know what you're thinking, it seems early.  We decided to do it before the holidays, rather than after, since we will be really busy traveling back and forth from FL to PA for other last minute wedding stuff. I'm having one shower in both states because there are tons of family in both areas, and the PA shower isn't until February when I have to go up to do a gown fitting.

I would post this on the etiquette or pre-wedding parties board but the etiquette police scare me there.... haha. Anyways, I got a gift in the mail from a good friend who can't make it to the shower next week, and I'm just wondering if I should open it now and mail a thank you or take it to the shower with me and open it there??

When is everyone else's bridal shower? Do you guys know the details or is it a surprise?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shower!

• Options
    If it were me, I'd open it and send out a thank you right away. Less to do later IMO. But I'm not sure what etiquette says (I admit sometimes I do tend to go against etiquette anyways, haha). Don't be scared to ask about this on the E board. TBH they're the ones that would know the best answer, but it's really up to you in the end anyways.

My mom told me today that my sister is planning a shower. We're not sure yet when it will be. Next year I'll be on the Saturday rotation schedule (I work every Sat right now, next year it'll be about once a month) so I'll have to see when we get the schedule what will work (I can switch with people but it's easier if I just do it on my weekend off!). It will probably be in Feb sometime I would think. Maybe Jan? I have no clue haha. My bachelorette party will probably be either the first or second weekend in March, again depending on my schedule and of course the schedules of the people planning it :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    My shower is also planned for next week! FMIL is throwing mine as well. I thought she was crazy when she first told me when she wanted to have it but once she explained she wanted to avoid holidays and possible blizzards in Feb. it actually was a great idea!
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies, You all made me feel better about the timing of the shower!! a few of my BMs said it seemed early and then I read somewhere you shouldn't have it before you send out the invitiations, so I was nervous!

I think I'll open the gift now and send the thank you with the rest of the showers. Its from a good friend of mine so I'm going to call her and thank her this weekend anyway.

I'm with you on the wine Sleeper! My bach party is in a few weeks and I told the girls to try to keep it a little more low-key. I still can't get over how quickly the time is flying by!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Open it now.  You will get more gifts throughout the week, and you will be very happy that you wrote that thank you now insted of later. 

Do not worry about the shower seeming "early".  It should be at everyones convience and you will have a nice gap between the shower and the wedding to write your thank you notes and not be "stressed" and "thank you'd" out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you would be fine to open the gift now and write out the letter.Just so its one done with. I would mail it out with the others after this weekend, but you could just throw it in the mail now. PP had a good point about having a nice gap between the shower and wedding so you do not feel thanked out. I do not think the shower is too early. It was nice to avoid the holiday craze.
    We had talked about having mine prior to the holidays also, but decided to do it in January instead so my younger sister (she's a BM) and step mom could fly in from Texas. They are really the only key players out of town and I thought it was awesome they wanted to fly in to attend. Mine is not a surprise, I HATEEEE surprises and they all know that. lol
    They have a wonderful 3-day weekend planned for us. We are having my shower on a Saturday, and than I will be going to Disney with my 4 BMs (who happen to be my 4 sisters). Two of my BM are under 21 so it will be kind of a Pre-Bach party that we can all attend . I will still be going out with the older sisters and in-town friends for a night on the town St. Pattys day weekend (the weekend before the wedding)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am having one of my best friends and my FI doing recon to figure out what my FMIL and FSIL are planning for January because I, too, hate surprises. Especially since my covert team has already discovered and put an end to his mom's idea of blowing up a piece of paper I used to practice writing my new last name to POSTER SIZE, his sister's idea of having the shower in my FI and my new house (before I even start living in it), and his dad's idea of having the shower at Golden Corral....yep.....

Also, open the gift and write that thank you note. You'll thank yourself later on when your hand is cramping. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that I'd probably go ahead and open and write the thank you now, then mail it when you do the others. Every one you can get done ahead the better! Those things can get tedious, and I always think I do better writing a few at a time.

My shower won't be until late February, maybe even early March, we haven't decided a date yet, but my sis is starting to plan so that's all I know. But it's really important to me that fmil gets to come, and since she's in Chicago (4 hours away) we don't want to risk awful weather for her. I'm so excited, I'm jealous that some of you are having them already!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards