Jewish Weddings

Genetic Testing - Personal Story

After a personal experience with genetic testing (or lack thereof), I just wanted to urge anyone who believes they may be at risk of being a carrier (I know Ashkenazi Jews are at high risk, I'm not sure about other ethnicities) to please get tested before trying to conceive.

I naively thought that I would be fine and never got tested.

After my first OB appointment, where they take blood and ran tests for all genetic diseases, I found out I was a carrier for cystic fibrosis.

My husband had to get tested, and it has been a horrible 3 week wait to get his results.

Luckily he is NOT a carrier, but the wait has been so nerve racking, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

So please, do not go through what I did, and get tested if you are in a high risk group.

Even if you are both carriers for a particular disease, you can still have a healthy child through IVF.

Shabbat Shalom :)

image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Genetic Testing - Personal Story

• edited December 2011
    Glad everything worked out well for you.  I am actually getting tested for 16 different genetic diseases on Sunday as part of a large event with a local jewish group.  Its not something I planned on doing right now, but its good to have it done and over with while I have the opportunity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Rachel - so glad you had  a good outcome. No one is immune to any of those. What used to be linked to certain cultures (sickle cell - african american, cystic fibrosis - caucasian) is no longer true because of the way races and cultures have intermingled. It is also kinda good because it makes them less common, in a way.

Anyway, glad everything is ok! My Grandma has Von Willebrand's and we went though this whole thing when I was preggo, trying to figure out whether or not it has been passed down. It was scary....
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Rachel!  I didn't even know you were pregnant!!  Mazel Tov!!!

How scary that must have been!!  We were tested as soon as we got married as we knew we were TTC immediately, but, your story is a good reminder to all women to be tested.  So so glad all turned out OK!!

Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • edited December 2011
    Glad it worked out....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards