African American Weddings
Options

Am I crazy - coordinator change at this stage???

So... I hired a wedding planner/coordinator several months ago (early in the process). I signed up for her "middle" package which wasn't full planning, but was more than just day-of coordination. Plus, I think that I might have posted something like this a while ago, but I don't remember, so if I did, please forgive my even-more-neuroticism...

Anyway, when I was originally looking for a wedding coordinator/planner, I was on the fence about her. She has good reviews for being efficient, but she's pretty reserved, and while I'm not "way out" I wasn't sure about the personality fit.  As time moved on, I felt comfortable with her organization, but she really wasn't adding any creative ideas to the process. At one point, I had a conversation with her about it (yeah, I know I posted this now) to try to set expectations, and it went ok, but I think ultimately, I just gave up and decided that I would just try to do most of the stuff myself and utilize her day-of services...

Well... also earlier in the process, I had met a planner/coordinator that was my dream come true. She's personable, edgy, has a lot of great ideas, etc., etc. But, for her planning services, she was way out of my price range, and even her day of services cost more than the other coordinator's "middle" package. But guess what, if I had hired her for the day-of package, we email and she has great ideas. She has even shared great ideas and I haven't officially even hired her...

So here I am, 85 days away... thinking that I might just fire the first coordinator and hire the new one... Then... that'll be $$ wasted on the first one, and more money spent on the new one. And... I've already done most of the big stuff, so I've also missed out on her input into the creative part of the processes...

On the other hand... New planner is available on my date still, and I feel like her personality is MUCH cooler and we'll just have much more fun on the wedding day. I feel like she's going to "get" me better and that the rest of the process (what little is left -- favors, place cards, menu cards, table numbers, coordinating final payments, etc, etc.) will just be more enjoyable...

Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra money, or am I REALLY trippin???

Re: Am I crazy - coordinator change at this stage???

• Options
    jonekajoneka member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Do you have it in your budget to switch? you want to be comfortable and stressfree and you would be paying for your peace of mind, so is that worth whatever amount youve invested in the first coordinator? Its not too late..you can still take full advantage of her services..if shes as good as you believe..she better work (in my ru paul voice)..lol..shell get caught up to speed and be able to tie your ideas and her ideas together..

but you know its easy to spend someone elses money....so on the flip side..it really depends on how much money your losing? and the new coordinators rate? if youve already done a majority of the big stuff, can you hire the new coordinator for the day-of and still be budget friendly?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I htink if your budget allows, you should go for it. Anything in your contract with the 1st one about canceling her services? Go for it our you will always wonder what if...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_am-i-crazy-coordinator-change-at-this-stage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:cdabb942-5ea7-4e17-9b97-ab671d2ceb3bPost:279e08ab-c7ac-48d9-aabc-1bafce7d70f2">Am I crazy - coordinator change at this stage???</a>:
    [QUOTE]So... I hired a wedding planner/coordinator several months ago (early in the process). I signed up for her "middle" package which wasn't full planning, but was more than just day-of coordination. Plus, I think that I might have posted something like this a while ago, but I don't remember, so if I did, please forgive my even-more-neuroticism... Anyway, when I was originally looking for a wedding coordinator/planner, I was on the fence about her. She has good reviews for being efficient, but she's pretty reserved, and while I'm not "way out" I wasn't sure about the personality fit.  As time moved on, I felt comfortable with her organization, but she really wasn't adding any creative ideas to the process. At one point, I had a conversation with her about it (yeah, I know I posted this now) to try to set expectations, and it went ok, but I think ultimately, I just gave up and decided that I would just try to do most of the stuff myself and utilize her day-of services... Well... also earlier in the process, I had met a planner/coordinator that was my dream come true. She's personable, edgy, has a lot of great ideas, etc., etc. But, for her planning services, she was way out of my price range, and even her day of services cost more than the other coordinator's "middle" package. But guess what, if I had hired her for the day-of package, we email and she has great ideas. She has even shared great ideas and I haven't officially even hired her... So here I am, 85 days away... thinking that I might just fire the first coordinator and hire the new one... Then... that'll be $$ wasted on the first one, and more money spent on the new one. And... I've already done most of the big stuff, so I've also missed out on her input into the creative part of the processes... On the other hand... New planner is available on my date still, and I feel like her personality is MUCH cooler and we'll just have much more fun on the wedding day. I feel like she's going to "get" me better and that the rest of the process (what little is left -- favors, place cards, menu cards, table numbers, coordinating final payments, etc, etc.) will just be more enjoyable... Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra money, or am I REALLY trippin???
    Posted by mejai1[/QUOTE]

Speaking from a planner's POV....I totally understand where you are coming from. This is what prompted me to make my switch with photographers, but honestly this late in the game, I don't see it as a necessity.  The creativity part that you needed is practically done with.  Day of its not really about who you can see yourself kicking it per se, because you'll be engrossed in everything else.  Its about who can logistically get the job done, be organized, keep vendors in line, crazy relatives in check, and send you off on your honeymoon or wherever you're going happy. If you had confidence in your current coordinator to take on that task, then I would say keep her. No need to spend the extra money.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it. If every thing is completed it seems like a waste. The original planner should be able to keep the organized.
  • Options
    Ok... you ladies know that with two votes each way, I'm still confused!!! One big issue for me has been that my coordinator was supposed to help with the look and feel of the decor, and getting ideas from her has been like pulling teeth. I even feel that with the work she has done so far, I'm not all that clear. I guess I was thinking that the new coordinator would offer a better eye on the little stuff. For example... ceremony decor is completely up in the air. The only thing I have are chairs and a table with linens... I'm going to post this separately though...

I actually did send the new coordinator an email asking her to send me her agreement. She was so excited (of course that's money for her). Now I'm more confused than ever. Damn I'm just creating drama for myself...
  • Options
    Yeah... FI vetoed me. We can use the extra $$$$ toward the honeymoon :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards