North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

OBX Wedding possibly in Duck or Corrola

Hey all -

My finace and I just got engaged and were considering a destination wedding in OBX next summer (either May or June)  since his family has vacationed there for years.  Since I live in FL and have only been to OBX once, I'm VERY unfamiliar with the area.  I was just hoping for some general guidance, venues, etc.  We are looking to have 75-100 guests, beach wedding with a reception close by.  Any venue, vendor, website suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks so much for any help!

Regards,
Nicci

Re: OBX Wedding possibly in Duck or Corrola

• Options
    I got married in Duck this April. I only had 50 guests and rented the Quack Shack.  You might want to check out The Grand Ritz Palm as an event home rental (Carolina Designs) and Gertrude's Breakaway (Twiddy). Those houses are big and allow you to have that many people.  Aqua S in Duck is a nice resturant on the sound that you could hold your reception at.  Look at the OBX wedding website for more vendors. And search the boards for vendor reviews also. There is so much useful info on here. this is where I found the best advice!  good luck!
  • Options
    I just got married at the Whalehead Club in Corolla, NC and it is absolutely beautiful.  I only had my ceremony there but you can have your ceremony and reception both there if you choose.
    May 25, 2012
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Congratulations and welcome!  You will absolutely love the OBX! :)

Make sure to look at the blue sticky pins at the top of the NC-OBX section for the upcoming brides....it is a great source of info for you and has a lot of helpful links.  The Outer Banks Wedding Assoc will be a very useful site as it lists every vendor from flowers, DJ's, event homes, etc.

The first thing you will want to do is secure a venue....be it an actual venue like 108 Budleigh, Jennette's Pier, etc OR if you want to rent an event home and have the wedding and reception there.  There are pros and cons to both though.  Renting an event home can get quite pricey b/c there is an additional event home fee on top of the deposit, then you have to rent tables, chairs, etc.  You can't really plan anything until you have the venue b/c with OBX being the #2 destination wedding location in the country (Vegas is #1), places will book fast!  Go to www.obxwa.com and click under "Vendors" for a complete listing of venues, event homes, etc. 

After the venue, your officiant will be high on the list and all of the good ones go fast.  Rev. Jay Bowman is very very popular and books a year or more in advance....then comes catering, DJ, etc.  I would say book in these order:  venue, officiant, DJ and catering--like I said, the good ones will go quickly.

Again, congratulations and if there is anything we can help you with, feel free to ask!  Ohhhh, and the OBX Wedding Assoc has their annual wedding expo in January.  Even if you have already booked your stuff by then, it's still a great chance to meet with other vendors and explore the OBX for the weekend.

• Options
    I got married at an event home in Corolla (Twiddy's Rendezvous), and we had our rehearsal dinner/ welcome dinner at Aqua S in Duck. I absolutely loved both events, and really enjoyed that they were different (Aqua S was sit-down, plated dinner; wedding @ Rendezvous was tapas-style, more grazing). Having a reception at an event home does have its ups and downs (having to manage all the details like rentals in addition to the basics like catering, unless you can get/ want a wedding planner or day-of coordinator), but I loved every minute of it. We didn't have a specific "end" time for the reception (though you do have noise restrictions to contend with, depending on the town), and many of our guests stayed at the event home all week. (We had a small wedding - 45 ppl.) We got married in a church in Kitty Hawk, but having a beach wedding and then being able to walk right up the boardwalk to your event home for the reception is nice, too - then you don't lose too much time taking your beach pics before partying! :)

The OBX is an amazing place to have a destination wedding - if you choose it, you won't regret it! 
  • Options
    I got married in Ocean Grand in Corolla, and loved the house.  20 ppl stayed in the house with us making it very affordable in May.  We got married right on the beach, and the house had a perfect cabana and deck area for the reception.

I loved having it at a house-the DJ/Photographers we hired made everything run very smoothly because they worked with the caterer to keep everything on track so i didn't need to worry about anything that day.  We used Arzt Music and Photography a husband and wife team who DJ, Violin for the ceremony, and photograph.  They were the best value in OBX, and we really enjoyed them.  Our pictures have been amazing, and the DJ kept things moving and shaking all night long.  Everyone loved them at our wedding.  In fact-we asked them back for a second day of shooting to get some family photos on the beach.  

Red Sky's food was fabulous, and if you book your rehearsal with them too, you'll get a 10% diescount on all the food!  We did two very different menus so no one even realized it was the same place.

I did flowers through Maggi at Harris Teeter-beautiful, and a great value.

Eden spa did our hair and make up and we looked awesome!  They use really good products so the pake up lasted even after a last song of the night bridal party jump into the pool!  We also brought lunch and bubbly there to enjoy the day getting beautiful!

May was a perfect month to get married there since it's pretty well still off season-other than other weddings.

Happy planning!

• Options
    We're getting married at Pelican's Landing in Corolla. It's a beachfront home that's owned by Coastal Provisions so you also have to go with Coastal Provisions for catering but their food is awesome and the garage at the house was converted into their catering kitchen so fresh food. We're renting a tent and having the reception in the backyard. We're also having 100 people. They don't charge a specific "event fee", you pay to rent the home and lots of things included for the reception (tables, dishes, dance floor, etc.).
  • Options
    Hi! Congrats!!!

We got married May 25 in Corolla at Gertrude's Breakaway! We ended up with 95 people and it was a great location and there's nothing I would have changed about it!!!! The ceremony was on the beach and we had the reception in a tent at the house. I'm going to do vendor reviews in the next day or so, so keep an eye out for those. In the mean time, let me know if you have any specific questions.
  • Options
    Hi Nicci! 
    I am getting married in Duck this August, well having my reception in Duck and getting married on the beach in Corolla. There is no parking in Duck anywhere but your driveway. Every vendor I have talked to have said they are strict about this. Even when we went the Duck resident beaches they are only accessed from private subdivisions and you have to walk to them. So we decided (with help from our chair set up vendor The Proper Setting) to get married in Corolla because the beach access points have parking lots close by. I love our house in Duck because it has a fenced in yard with a pool and plenty of room to set up outdoors if we can. Any other questions you have feel free to ask! Happy Planning!
  • Options
    congrats!! 

I am getting married this september at Twiddy's event home The Wild Horse! http://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/swan-island-estates/wild-horse.aspx

We are planning on having between 90 and 100 guests, and I have been vacationing in Corolla since I was a little kid. My fiance and I attended the wedding expo in January 2011, and looked at many different venues (all north of Southern Shores - I am a strictly northern outer banks girl - everything is more pristine on North 12 :) imho). I THOUGHT I wanted the currituck club, but we both ended up not liking it in person AT ALL. the Sanderling was beautiful but so pricey :P and the whalehead club was tied with the sanderling in terms of beauty, but we were nervous about all the logisitics that would go into the WC, since you have to bring in EVERYTHING yourself (including porta potties!). We truthfully were not even going to go see the wild horse, because it's in the 4x4-only beaches, but we figured what the heck, since we were already down there. the second we walked into the house, we turned to eachother and knew it was the place. it is BEAUTIFUL (i mean, just look at the photos!) The really great thing about this house - and what really sold us on it - is the fact that there is a huge indoor event room in the event of bad weather! can't beat a built in contingency plan! There is also an amazing "bridal/honeymoon suite" for the bride and groom :) 

We were still worried about transporting guests who don't have 4wd vehicles, but twiddy has a 4x4 bus (!!!!!) that you can rent for a really reasonable rate to transport your guests (and they can park their cars in Twiddy's ginormous parking lot at the Corolla office). All the major vendors will also travel there, and most are familiar with the house, so there really is no need to worry. There is even a second catering kitchen in the house, behind the regular kitchen! 

We are renting the house for the whole week, and the whole wedding party is staying there, along with our immediate families :) Can you tell I'm insanely excited?? LOL. lastly, Twiddy is SUPER helpful with all the planning - Melynda has sent me dimensions, floor plans, and let us tour the house a second time when we were there this past fall. 

Best of luck planning! and DEFINITELY consider the Wild Horse! 
  • Options
    Check out Affairs at Austin Creek in Hatteras. The Love Boat in Frisco or The inn on Pamlico Sound in Buxton All three are wonderful places to get married on the water!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards