Alaska
Options

Locations

I'm getting married next June here in Alaska, want it to be somewhere close-ish to Anhorage, but wouldn't mind a little drive.
We'd like an outdoor ceremony, and indoor reception.
What do you guys think of venues, something we HAVE to see? Something we should avoid? Looking for some advice.
We are going to have about 175 guests.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Locations

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alyeska is always a gorgeous choice in Girdwood, Tern Lake Inn in Moose Pass is a beautiful remote locale, O'Malleys is a nice golf course location in Anchorage.  There are really just a ton of gorgeous places right around here! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    jmehljmehl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Crow Creek Mine in Girdwood.  We are having our wedding there next summer.  The site is really beautiful and full of history.
  • Options
    sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on Alyeska. We would have loved to do ours there but our guest list is too big (max 200). 
  • Options
    tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to see Crow Creek Mine this weekened, that's actually VERY close to where my Finace' proposed (Hand tram over Winner Creek). Size is a probelm, with budget- lots of guests, means less locations to choose from. Also going to see Sunset View next week.
    Hope to find somewhere perfect, I don't like that there isn't way too much to choose from there without spendig a huge chunk of change. We need more locations, like a big loft downtown overlooking sleeping lady or something!
    Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the options are definitely limited for a big wedding. I've heard a lot of great things about Sunset View, including from our wedding coordinators.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having just that, an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. You might want to check out Alpenglow lodge in arctic valley. The total square footage is like 9000 square feet and there is a seperate area upstairs if the weather is bad for the ceremony. The price was pretty good and they have tables and chairs there so no need to rent that stuff. We have really enjoyed working with them and cant wait to get up there and party for the entire weekend (one of the rental packages they offer so plenty of time for set-up and clean up).
  • Options
    tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ended up booking Six Mile Chalet on base (since we are military too). It's right on the lake out there, and we'll do the ceremony outside, and the reception inside. The windows overlook the lake, there is a deck, and we have it for 3 days. So we can do the rehearsal, dinner, and decorating the day before! Lets just hope the weather is nice next year and we can do the ceremony outside!  Thanks so much for all your suggestions!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    anyone have suggestions for around 300 guests in anchorage?? I'm getting married in May, and all the venues seem to max out at around 200 :(. We've already cut our guest list quite a bit, we just know too many people. Help?
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    cjone2000cjone2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm getting married at the Inn at Whittier -- outside of Anchorage but gorgeous building. Some limitations, really for smaller >100 people. But beautiful no matter what season since you are right on the water and surrounded by amazing mountains.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are currently talking to people from Hatcher's Pass about a possible wedding, though our options are still open. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've lived here for a while, but still have no clue about venues. :)
  • Options
    richec45richec45 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone is talking about big weddings...  but what about the little ones?
    We are recently engaged, live in WI, and want to "elope" in Alaska.  (I say that in quotes because it's not a secret when we tell everyone.)  Neither one of us have ever been.  Any suggestions from the locals???  Any guidance will be appreciated!!!

• Options
    PurklelovePurklelove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at the Kincaid Chalet.  It is just gorgeous.  Especially in April.  

Here is a link to a few of my other Alaska Wedding tips.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards