Ohio-Columbus

XP: Blocking Hotel rooms

How many hotel options did you use to provide rooms for your guests. If I'm finding pretty much the same rates, amenities, and quality of hotels do I need to have just 1,2,3?? Will this confuse the guests by listing multiple hotel options or will the guests appreciate the options?
imageAnniversary

Re: XP: Blocking Hotel rooms

• edited December 2011
    Originally I was told to offer a few, pretty much one for each price range... low, middle & high.  But as I've been finding out... To get the discount, you have to book 20 rooms in most places, which means that you'd probably have to just go with one. 

Hope this helps!  I started looking into it myself (I'm a control freak) but my mom wanted something to do, so I passed this off on to her :-)
    image 0 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i have one right now just because it's smack in the middle of the church and venue and is affordable.
  • Cassandra999Cassandra999 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    How early do you need to book them?  We are still trying to figure out which hotels to even call... eeek!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing it a year out because I have 2 challenges. 1) My wedding is a holiday weekend and 2) Its the weekend of a OSU home game.
    imageAnniversary
  • jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only have one hotel, but that is because all of the hotels close to the venue are within $20 or so of each other.  I just blocked ours about a month ago and our wedding is December 17.  Hope that helps!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have two hotels. I did mine about 10 months out.
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I would do two.  We got engaged at the end of Nov and got married in Mar and had no problems with booking room blocks at hotels.  We did our research and called/drove around.  We found great options in downtown Columbus and some hotels have great perks (one had a complimentary shuttle to/from reception venue).  We decided on doing two, to give guests options, though not too many options.  Most guests all wanted to stay where everyone else was, and the rooms at the hotel we choose could accomodate from 2 to 6 guests.  We've gotten invited to 8 weddings this year, and most with rooms blocked off at hotels had 2 options.
  • edited December 2011
    How was the hotel block work? Do you need to put the rooms on a credit card? My cermony location and reception venue are downtown, I was thinking about using The Renaissance,  The Westin, or  The Hyatt. My mother would like to use The Hilton at Easton. 
  • jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mer, I might be a little late, but hopefully you see this.

You contact a hotel (you will have to talked to an actual sales manager because the prices are slightly flexible based on the number of rooms you want), and let them know that you were hoping to block x amount of rooms for your wedding.  They will give you a reduced price and let you know about any extras that are included.  (Feel free to push for something if you really want it!  We pushed to have a shuttle take our guests back and forth).  Anyway, they block the number of rooms you requested and will reserve them for your party up until a month or so before the wedding.  After that point, they open them up and allow and guests to book their rooms.  If one of your guests call to book after that point, they will not receive the reduced rate, and it is possible that they will not be able to reserve a room as the hotel may already be booked.

Hope that helps!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • spainstaceyspainstacey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have one....again because it's cheap and smack dab in the center of ceremony and reception.... and really the only options were all in the same shopping area anyway
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards