Snarky Brides

Found This interesting

Re: Found This interesting

• Well, that and the fact that funds for mental health care are constantly being cut. I used to work at a drug and alcohol treatment facility and lots of those patients had mental health issues in conjunction with their drug use. In WA they have cut the funding for both of these WAY back, to the point that people can't even afford to work there because their pay keeps being cut. It's really sad.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're right - this is a conversation that no one wants to have. It's always easier to say that, in cases like this recent tragedy, that the shooter had mental health issues, and then turn it into a gun control debate. It SHOULD be opening the door to talking about mental illness, but it never seems to.

Here in Canada, things aren't much better. It's still not widely discussed, and in my family I have a member who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. They have to either travel for ten hours by car or pay upwards of $500 for an airline ticket several times a year to access medical assistance.

As a teacher, we practice lockdowns and educate the students about what to do if one is called in school. But we never talk about the things that bring us to that point. When things like Sandy Hook happen, we talk about guns, but not about what caused the person to actually pull the trigger.

It's like everyone is afraid to talk about it, and that's what really needs to change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards