New York-Hudson Valley

Are you or have you taken dance lessons?

Hello again Ladies -
So here's yet another question I have....

Are you planning to take dance lessons or have you taken dance lessons for your first dance?

If so, what was your experience?
Can you recco anyone? What was/ is the cost?
When do you think is a good time to go?

Out of curiosity -- Are you having 1 or 2 wedding songs? I'm told some people have 2 songs.....my friend did.
Are you planning to do the same? For for those who are already married how many songs did you have?

Once again - Many thanks for your input & advice.
-Lee
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are you or have you taken dance lessons?

• edited December 2011
    We are having 1 first dance song, father-daughter, mother-son, cake cutting and that's it.  We're skipping th bouquet/garter/anniversary dance.

Fi and I both have two left feet and no amount of dance lessons can fix that.  We are just going to do the good old CYO sway at the wedding and try not to giggle.

I just flipped through The Clipper Magazine I received in Congers.  I believe you can search it on-line and find advertisements in different areas. There were 2 in mine. One coupon for "Geri the Traveling Trainer" for a complimentary clas (expires 7/1).  She also lists her rate for 2 people at $1.5 a minute/ $45 for 30 minutes.  There was another advertisement for Danceworks in Congers, no coupons but they listed a number to call for their brochure: 845-268-4669.  I can cut out and mail you the Geri coupon if you're interested/can't access it on line. 

I personally heard a good review about a dance instructor (with a storefront) in Piermont; I don't know her name, but I can look into it if you're interested.

Good luck!  I'm sure your first dance will be beautiful and special no matter what you decide!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we're going to take lessons, i need to set them up soon actually. 
  • edited December 2011
    I's like to take lessons...I don't want to look any more uncomfortable than I know I will when we dance. ....dancing with FI doesnt make me nervous ...its all the people staring and cameras watching
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would love to take some lessons! We even have some friends who said they'd be willing to come along too. I think it'll be hilarious.

Our neighbor told us that our town has classes at our Jewish Community Center, but we're not jewish, so we have to look into whether or not that's an issue.

• edited December 2011
    We took a dance class, which is different from lessons, in that there were a whole bunch of other people in the class with us (and you dance with everyone, so it wasn't like MH and I just got to dance with each other), and they don't put together a "rotuine" for your first song or anything.

But we took 2 8-week sessions. And from that, about a week before the wedding we cobbled together our own little routine based on what we'd learned. And, btw, we LOVED taking the classes.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_taken-dance-lessons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:6e700228-6e3a-4443-b2a4-ae98fa55690aPost:412e1835-fd90-4d9a-8b63-2a96a3c15074">Re: Are you or have you taken dance lessons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We took a dance class, which is different from lessons, in that there were a whole bunch of other people in the class with us (and you dance with everyone, so it wasn't like MH and I just got to dance with each other), and they don't put together a "rotuine" for your first song or anything. But we took 2 8-week sessions. And from that, about a week before the wedding we cobbled together our own little routine based on what we'd learned. And, btw, we LOVED taking the classes.
    Posted by Just Jen[/QUOTE]

Hey Jen!! Where did you take the class? Was it expensive?
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It was at Batista Dance Studio in Hackensack. I think it was $100 each for each 8-week session? But don't quote me on that =) We took Cha-Cha/Rumba/Swing levels 1 and 2.

We totally loved it and will probably take more classes there later in the summer =)
  • edited December 2011
    thanks so much Jen!! we live right near there so I'll look into it
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi guys....My husband is/was the worst dancer and so to make him feel more relaxed we did take lessons!  It was so much fun!

We took them at Arthur Murray in White Plains. Our instructor is Rosa and she is phenomenal.  Please tell them I sent you....and tell her we said hi!

Overall, they are expensive but they are always doing promotions so we had gotten something like 6 private lessons and unlimited group lessons for $200.00.  So see what specials they have for engaged couples!

Also....we didn't start going until end of February, and our wedding was end of march! I would recommend starting about 3 months before, but in all honesty we still did good!

We went to a wedding the other night and my husband remembered all the steps for our first dance...I was so impressed with him!!
  • lawyer707lawyer707 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dance NY Westchester in Briarcliff for mine. They were so patient and worked with us and our song. We used "just the way you are" which is kind of upbeat and learned the fox trot. We incorporated about 10 different "moves" in the dance. It was SO much fun and I highly recommend them. They have wedding packages for private lessons.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the replies ladies. I guess I can put the dance lessons on the back burner. If we took them now we would totally forget about what we learned by the time our wedding rolled around in May!

At least now I know others have done it and there are places that are out there that will work w/ you privately along w/ your song. Thanks again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted to take lessons, but FI didn't want to spend the money. I said we could take lessons from your parents then, but we never found the time.

I found out though, he kept trying to get out of it because he was really uncomfortable with all the attention on you. He said he was going to be so self-conscious during our first dance, that it was easier to just slow dance and sway than worry about anything else.

And you know what it was lovely! We had our first song to "Can't help falling in love" (original version by Elvis) and because we were so close during that song, we were able to talk privately together during those moments. It's one of the best memories that I have from the day. Because even though all eyes were on us, no one else was with us on that dance floor.

We had a song follow our first song to get all couples up and dancing. Because we didn't want to share our first dance with anyone. So we played "At last" by Etta James after that that way all couples could join us on the dance floor.

Not sure if that's what you meant by second song or someting else I have seen is that (often) after the cake cutting, the couple has another dance to themselves. I have seen it done, but we didn't do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards