August 2013 Weddings

Labor Day Weekend

Im getting married on Saturday, August 31st, 2013. I dont know why it didnt dawn on me before, but that is Labor Day weekend!! Are any other brides having their wedding on the same weekend? Having any problems with guests already having plans or anything? I will be sending out my STDs next weekend (waiting for them to come from VP), is that going to be enough time for everyone? So far, nobody has really said anything about that weekend. But, nobody really knows the date yet (family does, close friends do, but without the STDs being sent out, nobody else really does). Any advice or support from anybody that is dealing with this?!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Labor Day Weekend

• Hi there :) I'm having my wedding on the same exact date. I sent out my STD in December, but we started spreading the word early...so far nothing but positive feedback. I think you'll be fine as long as you send out your STD soon and start spreading the word out about the date. Good luck with everything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi! Im getting married the same day! I hadnt realized it either, Ive told family but I havent sent out my save the dates yet. So far eveyone's holiday plans are the actual holiday so I should be fine. Also the majority of my guests are local. Are you having alot of out of towners? It should work out though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_labor-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:5d25048c-db6d-4ca8-a725-ad6c6f815272Post:107aefba-6c81-4153-b855-ecd598c51790">Re: Labor Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! Im getting married the same day! I hadnt realized it either, Ive told family but I havent sent out my save the dates yet. So far eveyone's holiday plans are the actual holiday so I should be fine. Also the majority of my guests are local. <strong>Are you having alot of out of towners?</strong> It should work out though.
    Posted by LatashaO[/QUOTE]

Not at all. We have 3 out of towners, and we really dont even think they will show up. But, since they are family, we are sending an invite anyway. When are you planning on sending your save the dates?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • August 31st is my wedding date and I purposely chose it because it was the Labor Day weekend.    As I was talking to friends and family most of them liked the idea of having a long weekend to celebrate at my wedding and then go do their own thing.   Also for the OOT the holiday gave them an extra day to return home and settle in before starting the work week.  So my thought is that those who really want to be at the wedding will be there and the rest, oh well.  

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• We are getting married that day too!! We didn't realize at first it was labor day but after we thought well everyone will have an extra day to recover from our party!! We have not sent our save the dates yet, hoping to send them by middle of feb. I'm happy we picked that weekend, I just wish it would hurry up my fianc tells me everyday he wishes we could move the date up but I think the weather will be perfect. Kinda like last party of the summer!
    Bunny ??
  • We are getting married this date too!! Both of our extended family's are from out of state so we actually chose this date on purpose to allow for the extra recovery/travel day for them afterwards.
    We got engaged New Year's Day this year...so short engagement period. We called our family out of state to let them know about the date asap. Since we do have such a short engagement, we are probably going to do electronic save the dates, if any. Thanks to Facebook and the internet, everyone bascially knows the date anyways and we haven't had a single complaint about it being on Labor Day weekend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is so crazy that so many of us have the same wedding date! So exciting! I didnt even think of the fact that it will allow for an extra day of recovery! Or for people to attend our wedding, but yet still do their own thing that same weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_labor-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:5d25048c-db6d-4ca8-a725-ad6c6f815272Post:420b5208-8529-4d73-9e7e-ba3ba24d631e">Re: Labor Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Labor Day Weekend : Not at all. We have 3 out of towners, and we really dont even think they will show up. But, since they are family, we are sending an invite anyway. When are you planning on sending your save the dates?
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

I think mine will go out in early feb, I had some already but we changed our theme, so now Im in the market for new ones lol. We have about 3 out of towners too.
  • I was just curious & checked out where all of us girls are from, we are all pretty close! That is crazy! Anyway, I hope planning goes well for all of you :] keep me updated!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • were getting married aug 31st as well we havent heard anything about people already having plans either and we are going to send out save the dates at the middle or end of feb. but we picked that day for the fact that its a 3 day weekend and guest would most likely have monday off so if they have to travel they don;t want to take it off of work 
    Anniversary

TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    My Ovulation Chart

• Another Aug 31st bride here. We sent our Save the dates out in Nov. and also spread the word early of the date. We have not had any negative feedback about it being Labor day weekend. If anything people are happy about it because it gives them an extra day to travel.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting married Labor Day weekend as well. Our reception is in a hotel, and we were actually given a better deal because the hotel's main clientele - conventions - do not normally host events on weekends. Also, about 90 percent of our guests will be from out of town (8 hour drive or 1 hour plane trip), and they all favored a long weekend to help with travel!
  • Also, we just received our Save the Dates in the mail. We used Zazzle -- it only cost 60 cents/STD. They turned out great! We still have to buy envelopes and stamps, so we're hoping to mail them this weekend. :)

How far with planning are you Aug. 31 ladies?
  • The only thing I have planned so far is where my reception is, where my ceremony is and I ordered my STDs. We are going bridesmaids dress shopping in the middle of Feb, and I have met with a vendor who is going to do my centerpieces once already. We are going to meet again in the middle of Feb to get some more ideas. I have booked the DJ already. Also, I planned out the days for all the shower, etc. I had to do this early because my MOH is in the army & we wanted to make sure nothing interferred with her drill weekends. My biggest problem seems to be my guest list...it keeps growing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Im having a time getting my guest list together, I thought we had it figured out but my father had a heart attack earlier this month and all these cousins were popping up! Im like okay back to the guest list lol. We booked the dj, reception, photobooth, the ceremony is tossed up, long story, and were debatng on whether or not to use a friend of his for the photographer. Im goin to do crystal bouquets for us. Im super excited! I just need to focus on my so called diet an exercise, Im gonna get it together though hopefully.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_labor-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:5d25048c-db6d-4ca8-a725-ad6c6f815272Post:a7084cea-ddb9-4100-9900-16471f46a6e9">Re: Labor Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im having a time getting my guest list together, I thought we had it figured out but my father had a heart attack earlier this month and all these cousins were popping up! Im like okay back to the guest list lol. We booked the dj, reception, photobooth, the ceremony is tossed up, long story, and were debatng on whether or not to use a friend of his for the photographer. Im goin to do crystal bouquets for us. Im super excited! I just need to focus on my so called diet an exercise, Im gonna get it together though hopefully.

I would love to see the crystal bouquets. That sounds like my type of bouquet. I am trying to diet as well. When I bought my dress in April 2012, it didnt fit (too small) but I bought it anyway. I tried it on again a few weeks ago & it fit perfectly so I guess now its just a matter of maintaining my weight. I would really love to start working on my arms a little so they dont giggle around all day Lmao.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Any fellow August 31st brides familiar with Erie, PA area? How close/far are you? it would be sweet to be able to meet up with fellow August 31st brides!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married on August 30th and didn't realize it was Labor Day weekend at first.  We picked the date as it would be my Dad's birthday (he passed away suddenly 9yrs ago).  We have a ton of out of town guests on our guest list including both of our parents.  So we shall see what the turn out is like.  I am really hoping to get STD out asap.  I wanted to wait until engagement pics were done, but I don't want to wait any longer. 

Good luck to all the Labor Day Weekend Brides/Grooms!  And Congrats!
  • Sierra I wish I had your motivation its like I know I should be on a diet but I still eat things I shouldnt smh...im horrible. I live in cleveland, very close to erie pa! Thats awesome. Maybe I should buy my dress smaller, that will definately put some fire under me!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_labor-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:5d25048c-db6d-4ca8-a725-ad6c6f815272Post:de1339b5-d525-4bd2-a182-a1dcf7cb7f94">Re: Labor Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sierra I wish I had your motivation its like I know I should be on a diet but I still eat things I shouldnt smh...im horrible. I live in cleveland, very close to erie pa! Thats awesome. Maybe I should buy my dress smaller, that will definately put some fire under me!!!

Cleveland is so close! I was born in Mayfield Heights hospital in Clev. & I still eat things I shouldnt...I just dont eat as much anymore. Learned to cut down my portions alot. And I gave up pop. Its so hard! I still have the occasional mtn dew tho (diet of course). I wouldnt recommend getting a smaller dress. Mine was only 1 size too small, but since I had 16 months, I knew I would be able to do it. However, if I were just now buying my dress, I prob wouldnt have bought it smaller bc its way to close!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thats very true I can just imagine not being able to fit it! Horrible. I need portion control, i had a few prototypes of a small crystal bouquet I tried to make, this weekend I will start on them all, Im going to do my first since it will be the biggest and I only have 3 bridesmaids so it should be fine. Oh and David Tutera is here he's gonna be at Catan Fashions in Strongsville, and I just found out like 20 mins ago! Im like where have I been! Lol
  • I'm getting married August 31st also. We didn't realize it was Labor Day weekend either. Were actually having the wedding on a public beach. Should be interesting. Probably going to be packed. My main concern is everyone being able to book a hotel in enough time. My fiance is from there so it wont be an issue for him, but my friends and family are coming from Atlanta. I sent out STD's a few weeks ago. I would go ahead and send them out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards