Hawaii
Options

XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!

I just wanted to do a quick PSA for all of you brides to be!

Your wedding dress does NOT need to be a one-wear gown. Get the most out of it! Let's be honest, how likely is it that your daughter (if you even have one) will want to wear your dress when she gets married? 

What are you REALLY going to do with your dress when the wedding is over? It'll likely go in a box and never be seen again. So let's get the most of it.

Here's what I did:

Got married:

Trashed it:

Cleaned it and wore it to our AHR:

And then got the "bling" taken off the sash, and had it shortened to a party dress that I can wear for anniversaries/whenever:

And I did all of this for around $1,200, including alterations, the cleaning cost, and second alterations... which is less than some girls spend on the dress before alterations. I will continue to get use out of it too, it's a hot little number now!

Re: XP: Get the most out of your wedding dress!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Love it!  Your post has me thinking about shortening mine.  But gahhhh I love my train so, so much :D  On the flip side, I don't even fit in my dress anymore.  The top of the zipper is about 4 inches from touching the other side.  Kudos that you still fit in yours!
  • Options
    Thanks! It's pretty fun to have it as a "new dress" again. 

I'm also using it as motivation to stay in shape, since the goal is to wear it for our anniversaries. We'll see how well that goes though :P
  • Options
    Brea,

I already posted FB but it looks great on you and what a great idea. I am not sure if mine would work shortened with the way the back is with buttons and a a pleat on the train.

It looks super cute on you!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Very cute!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    That's awesome!! I think my dress would look amazing as a cocktail dress!! Scared to trash it though because it's lace...anyone do a TTD shoot with a lace dress?
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey Brea, what was your dress made of??  I'm wondering how mine will turn out after if it goes in the ocean, but I haven't decided if I'm going to yet or not.  Mine's that satiny material

• Options
    Mine is silk taffeta. I don't know about lace personally but I'd just be careful with sharp rocks. I think water would be fine. The ocean water made My dress cleaner than before it went in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards