Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Florists

Anyone use Hy-Vee or Flowerama?  Are they reasonably priced?  I have an appointment with Hy-Vee in 2 weeks and they are my first choice for flowers since I've always had a good experience when buying mother's day flowers from them.

I'm in Waterloo IA.  I don't think my location makes much of a difference since they are both chain-businesses but if anyone has an opinion of them in any location I'm open to hearing it.  Thanks.
Anniversary

Re: Florists

• Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had talked with them, and the lady was very nice and their prices were pretty good. The weddings I"ve seen them do are really good!

We decided to do our own, but if we would have had them done I would have gone with them!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    ammbcinceammbcince member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Hy-Vee for my flowers. Between my ceremony, attendant flowers, parent flowers, and reception flowers it is going to cost around $2500. This is because I am using pomander balls for almost everything. They are super reasonable and if you have any catering and your cake through Hy-Vee you can get a 10% discount!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks this helps a lot.  We are thinking we will probably have Hy-Vee cater as well and then figured if we did catering and flowers than we might as well do our cake through them as well.

I think the only pomander ball I will use is for my flower girl.  The other pomanders I will do myself if I still decide to use them.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good! We are using them for everything. All of the bridesmaids will be carrying white daisy pomanders, and my flowergirl is carrying a mini pink daisy pomander. We are also having white pomanders on the arch and aisle at the wedding since we are getting married outside. The other place we are using pomanders is in the reception space. Our centerpieces have 3-4 mini pomanders on them! Alot of pomanders really make the price of flowers skyrocket!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My flower girl is going to carry one made of those sticks with flower petals in them.  When you shake the pomander the petals fall out.  I saw one at a wedding extravaganza and I loved it especially for an outdoor rustic wedding.  I'm hoping I can afford chocolate cosmos for the flower girl.

I was planning on making some other pomanders myself (really easy to do but they'd be fake) and have them at the altar.  However, we're now marrying in a Gazebo and the guests can either sit behind us like a normal ceremony or in front of us.  So depending on where guests are other pomanders might not be feasible.

All other reception and ceremony decor we're doing ourselves.  Trying to spend as little as possible for this wedding.  But I would like real flowers for the WP.  But my other idea is to maybe do button bouquets and corsages/boutonnieres.  I'm big on DIY to save $. As long as it actually saves me money.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Hy-vee for my flowers. I have found their prices to be better than anyone else I've talked to and they have been very helpful and willing to work within my budget. Since I want to do our centerpieces myself I asked about ordering flowers in bulk and she said that I could do that through them as well, so that pretty much made it impossible for me to say no.
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using The Florist on 5th. For my quote, she was actually less expensive than Hy-Vee. I am getting flowers to outfit the wedding party. No extra decorations or centerpieces, just bouquets and boutonnieres. The owner's name is Lori and the shop is in Valley Junction.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Happy Apple Orchard so there is a lot of natural beauty. The  only extra decorating we are doing is with the flowers. That is the only thing I am splurging on. Everything else is extremely budgeted!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ammbcince I'm pretty much doing the same.  Our venue is very pretty and the ceremony is being held outside so I really only want flowers for the WP.  All other decor we are doing ourselves with the help of Hobby Lobby.  I'm very budgeted on what we are spending well.  And I've budgeted spending about $1000 for flowers for the ceremony.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    cbratthauercbratthauer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also from Waterloo but not using Hy-Vee. However, I did have a lady doing my chair covers tell me her daughter got her flowers from the Hy-Vee on University, the one still in Waterloo, not CF, and they were awesome!!! Where is your reception at?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards