Hawaii
Options

not from this board, but though you could help...maui question!

i am totally overwhelmed! ive been trying to google "places to stay in maui" for like the last hour but i can't find much, so i thought you could help :) im trying to find a hotel for my honeymoon (not for awhile, i know...but when i set my mind to something... haha). i'm not looking for a big fancy place like the Ritz...i actually found a place through theknot called Mamas Fish House that i like the look of, same with a place called Paia Inn (what are they like? Nice, worth it?)...I thought asking you would help cuz you may know of cute places that wont show up on a search engine right away. So ya, something not super fancy and expensive, but still nice and cozy for my honeymoon.
Thanks in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: not from this board, but though you could help...maui question!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooooh.... I have just the place for you!! I just had a DW in Maui 3 months ago. It was my 10th trip to the island though. Check out the Aromatherapy Foundation of Maui. It's roughly in the same location as the Mama's resort, but WAY more private and romantic. 

New to the boards, but if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!! happy to help. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Paia is a small town, we refer to it as very much a hippie spot--I would recommend for an hour or two walking around, but not a honeymoon.  Mama's Fish House is a great restaurant, I didn't know there WAS accommodation there.  

There are four areas to look at for accommodations on Maui (starting from the North):

Kaanapali $$
    Lahaina $
    Kihei $
    Wailea $$$

Those are just my estimates for how much accommodations are.  Kihei and Wailea pretty much run into each other and are otherwise known as South Maui.  Lahaina is good for day trips, lots of touristy stuff and restaurants. North Maui gets more rain, South is more dry, usually. Kihei has a more "lived" feel as it seems almost suburban.  There are lots of hotels, condos and resorts at all locations.  However, in Kihei, there are very few places on the beach--most are across the street.  Wailea almost all are resorts, and almost all are directly on the beach. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pick up the Maui Revealed guide... or check out their website:

http://wizardpub.com
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start with Maui Revealed, for sure.

When you have an idea of either condo buildings or hotels and areas you're interested in, you can go to tripadvisor.com and find reviews of them there.

The first decision you'll need to make is the type of place you want to stay - big resort/hotel, condo (most of which are privately owned, or inn/b&b.  We prefer to stay in privately owned condos, which we find on vrbo.com - you generally get more for your money and they have laundry and a kitchen (which can make your trip way less expensive).
  • Options
    lwav8176lwav8176 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are staying at the Westin Ka'anaplai Ocean Resort Villas. It has the practicality of a condo with a kitchenette or kitchen (depending on the type of room you book) and a washer/dryer in the unit, but still has the amenities of a nice resort. PM me if you are interested and I will give you the contact for a much reduced rate.
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were at Mama's Fish House last week and saw pictures of their lodge. It's cute....small and rustic looking. But like everyone says, not much out in that area. I think it would be better to stay in the Lahaina or Wailea area, lots more to do!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards