New York-Hudson Valley
Options

tips - who and how much

Hi Ladies -

Can anyone offer some guidance on who exactly we should tip and how much is generally considered reasonable?

thanks so much!

Re: tips - who and how much

• Options
    edited December 2011
    (Forgive me for copying and pasting, but this is my answer from a month or two ago when someone asked. The first paragraph is new.)

You must be close to be asking about tipping. congrats on your upcoming wedding! The amount to tip is completely up to you. But the "general" rule says  somewhere, that if the person owns the business, a tip isn't required, but is a nice gesture. We did tip our DJ and photo who owned their studios, but felt they did a good job, so they deserved it.

Anyway as far as tipping:

I gave my hair dresser $25 and my make-up girl $25. (Went to a salon the morning of)

We were required to tip the maitre d' $300. (We didn't give our venue manager anything)

We gave our waitress $50

We also gave every server $20. It wasn't necessary, but I used to work at a catering hall and it was one of the gestures that was so appreciated when I got it. That it was definitely something I wanted to do.

Florist - didn't tip

dj/mc- DJ - We gave $200 (He owned the company and we didn't have an mc)

limo drivers - We were required to give 20%. This came to $115. Plus we gave an additional $30.

shuttle - didn't have

photographers - main photographer (he owned the studio) $100 / his assistant $50

videographers - (same company as photographer) We gave $50

Also, we gave the alter server at church $20

Everyone's answer will be a little different. But hope this helps! GL!

• Options
    bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our contract with our venue required a percentage of the total, it ranged from 3%-5% of the total.  I would check your contract.
    Many of my vendors owned their own business, i.e. photograhper, lighting, dj, hair, makeup. 
    I feel that they all provided me with a service and I would never even think of not tipping them, that is just rude.  Especially photographer, hair, makeup all came to my house and provided a service.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards