August 2013 Weddings

How long until you start getting frustrated with no response from potential vendors?

After meeting with our top choice photographer and a few meetings over the next week or so with other photographers to ensure we were getting a fair price for her skill level and our area, we informed the top choice we had selected her, and she backed out! When we met, we were told that she would tentatively book the date for us and if anyone else inquired about that date, she would check with us first. Her reason for backing out was "a family issue". What kind of family issue comes up over a year in advance? No contracts were signed yet, but the fiance and I were furious at her lack of professionalism and not informing us in advance of becoming unavailable.

Now, we are in a bit of a tailspin looking for a new option. Upon learning our first choice backed out, we sent a few emails to other photographers for info late last Thursday night. After no response from anyone, I followed up with a second email yesterday (Tuesday morning). It's now Wednesday, and still no response. Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is unacceptable for a business I am trying to give my money, or should I just keep waiting? A good photographer is one of our top priorities and I don't want to wait, but I also don't want to be a pain either. And I also don't want to settle for someone whose quality we aren't happy with. Am I being crazy expecting a response within 4 regular full business days in the midst of wedding season?

Re: How long until you start getting frustrated with no response from potential vendors?

• island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Give them a week and then go into "push" mode.   Keep in mind that some of these photograhpers are a one man/woman show.  So they may be on vacation, etc and as you mentioned could just be super busy because of the wedding season.  Also, check their website (if you haven't already) to see what they say is their response policy and/or to see if they have a message up regarding their status under their "contact us" section. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• sparkellyysparkellyy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    You are not overreacting! For the weekend, I expect vendors to have a delayed response as there are weddings going on. However, if it is during the week (like it is now) I would not find it acceptable for them to not be answering. Granted, photography might be a second job to them, but if they aren't paying attention to you when they're trying to get your money - how are they going to treat you after they get your money?

Take your time in selecting a good photographer that has good response timing! I would say two business days is plenty enough - I work from home and constantly check my email. I think the average person checks their email daily - nevermind someone who their profession relies on email.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something similar just happened to mewe are trying to finish up all the paperwork with our photographer, I sent an email requesting a small addition to the contract, and then got no response for several days. I finally broke down and called, and it turns out she thought she had responded. One of our emails just "ate" the response. If there's a moral to the story, I'd say it's that phone contact works best with busy photographers. It's harder to ignore, and leads to less misunderstandings. I'd say call away! And good luck!
  • Thanks all! Luckily, I got a response from my top choice and they are being super great about replying now. I work in an industry where it's typically unacceptable to wait an hour for a response of any sort, so I figured I might just be crazy to expect that from anyone else. I just needed a little reassurance from you all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards