North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

New to all of this!

hi I am newly engaged and starting to plan my wedding in obx! we want to have a ceremony and reception at an event home. Does anyone have suggestions?

Re: New to all of this!

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Hello and welcome Marissa!  Congrats on your engagement....this is a very exciting time in your life so take the time to enjoy it and bask in all of the fun before getting tooooo into the planning part.

We are a wealth of knowledge here and all of the ladies are so very helpful here.  Have you visited the outer banks wedding assoc website?  It will be your resource guide for obx wedding info hands down.  www.obxwa.com

Have you ever visited the obx before?  Do you know what area you want to stay in?

Event homes can be somewhat tricky for several reasons.  First off, the mgmt. company will charge an "event fee" ranging from $1500 up to $3000 and that is on top of the rental price and the security deposit.  Most of them have a max headcount of 50 but there are a few that will allow 75 to 100, but it all depends on which part of the island you are looking for.  Parking can also be in an issue especially in Duck and Corolla b/c they are considered "private" and don't like a lot of cars parked everywhere.  You can certainly work around this but keep the parking in mind though.

Give is some info to work with as far as location, headcount, etc and we can give you some great ideas.

Ohhhh and tell us about yourself and FI.  How you met?  Proposal story?  Colors? etc.  I'm just nosey and want to know, lol.

Agaion, congrats to you and yours :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome.
    The ladies on here are very helpful and have tons of great ideas.

I am planning my wedding at an Event Home in Nags Head this Sept. We are in the middle of planning, so if you have any questions regarding "our" event home, please ask. I will help you with anything I can.
    OBX2011 is right about the event fee being around $2000, but you could easily spend this money renting a reception "hall". We are keeping our costs down by doing a lot ourselves....we are making a lot of our appetizers :) and my maids and I are putting together the flowers. Another great idea is to provide your own alcohol-you keep any leftovers!!! Also, consider getting married in the middle of the week(we are getting married on a Tuesday)-caterers, photographers and Dj all offered us a discount for being during the week.

Just some ideas to keep in mind. What part of OBX are you looking at??
  • Options
    jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Marissa!  I am fairly new to the board as well and planning and have found these ladies EXTREMELY kind and helpful!  They have given me a lot of ideas and confidence in my wedding planning (it is a bit daunting in the beginning).  Read the boards, I went way back in time to see the different posts since there is so much information on here. 

Hey Krhoy- I was considering an offday wedding date as well- we havent choosen it yet, we are going down next weekend.  How good were the discounts from the vendors?  I was considering Friday, but assume that may not yield a great savings over a Sat.
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Jkramas....I am getting married on a Friday and the venue discount was a difference of $1000 but I can't really say that the catering and phtography was any cheaper than a Sat.

The reason we chose a Friday is b/c most homes check in on Sat or Sun and if you have a Sat wedding, then you have to turn around and check out the next day by 10am and who wants to do that after a night of wedding fun?  Don't get me wrong to any Sat brides out there....but its nice to have a day to relax and unwind after the big day.

• Options
    Marissa20Marissa20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for the warm welcome ladies! We are looking for an event home in Corolla/ Pine Island area. My family and I have gone there every year since I was young so we'd like to stay in this area. If you have any suggestions please let me know!
  • Options
    dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa - definitely put Twiddy's Rendezvous on your list!!  I got married there 2.5 weeks ago and it was a GREAT house for a wedding!!  I had only 45 at my wedding, but you can have 100 I believe... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was married at The Grande Ritz Palm last August.  The home is amazing.  One thing I was very happy with is it is on the sound side in Duck.  This meant there were no waves crashing and people laying out on the beach or strolling along the water watching.  If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Other Vendors:
    Island Photography - Pro - They are a husband wife team and becaus there are two of them, you have one to be near the bride and one to be near the groom.  You will not have a shot missed!  They are also very easy on your guest.  I have been to weddings where the photographers can really start agravating your guest.  Allie and Mike get in and out pretty quick on each shot.

Proper Setting - If you are considering a planner at all . . . then do it!  Nannette was extremely helpful through the whole process and she has a package at every price point.  If nothing else, do her day of package.  You do not want to be the one on the day of your wedding directing people around.

Red Sky - Wes & Cindy are the owners.  We used them for rehearsal and wedding.  My family uses them also to cater events when they are down in Nags Head.  They are wonderful to work with and the food was unreal.  The two things my guest are still talking about is the food and our minister. 

Rev Jay - Book him!  You will love him and so will your guest.  He builds the ceremony around your comfort level with religion, not his. . . . which I have seen recently at weddings.  You want to find someone who is able to represent a ceremony that fits the people getting married.  This is your wedding, . . not a curch service . . . unless you want it to be :)

Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards