Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Amount of Liquor to Buy

Our venue allows us to purchase and bring our own liquor.  This is what I have planned for a reception with 130 adults.  Any thoughts on the amount of liquor we're buying?
QuantityItem Drinks per Unit Drinks Provided
35Red Wine (750 mL)                               4                140
35White Wine (750 mL)                               4                140
30Champagne (750 mL)                               6                180
25Beer (12 packs)                             12                300
5Vodka (Absolut)                             30                148
3Gin (Beefeater)                             30                   89
3Rum (Bacardi Dark)                             30                   89
4Bourbon (Jim Beam)                             30                118
3Scotch (JW Red)                             30                   89
2Tequila (Cuervo Gold)                             30                   59
1Orange Liquer (Cointreau - 750 mL)                              -                      -  
1Amaretto (Hiram Walker - 750 mL)                              -                      -  
1Triple Sec (Dekuyper - 750 mL)                              -                      -  
3Dekuyper TBD                              -                      -  
2Lychee Liquer (Soho -750 mL)                              -                      -  
1Dekuyper TBD                              -                      -  
2Dry Vermouth (Gallo)                              -                      -  
2Sweet Vermouth (Gallo)                              -                      -  
1Bitters (Angostura)                              -                      -  
 TOTAL             1,352

Re: Amount of Liquor to Buy

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Figure about one drink per (adult) guest per hour.   If it's cold out, people won't drink as much white wine and beer, but will drink more red wine and liquor.    Opposite if it's hot out.    

As long as you have a plan for unused booze, then I think you'll be okay.

For reference, we had 80 adults, and had 6 cases of beer, and 1.5L each of Vodka, Whisky, Rum, and Gin, and we had about 15 cases of wine (and enough champagne for a toast).  We drank all the wine (I think?), but easily could have done with half the ammount of beer and liquor.

Edited to add:  Just noticed you have TEN DRINKS per guest.   Even for a longish reception, I would cut that in (almost) half.  Maybe cut it to 60% if you can.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the reply.  It's really very helpful to see what others have done for reference.  At least I know I'm in the ballpark.  You're right about the 10 drinks overshooting.  At the end of the day I guess I'm more worried about running out of something.  We're also having two bars, so as I type this I'm realizing we'll need to double up on anything where we only have one (or get two smaller bottles).
  • Options
    Also look at how far your guests will be traveling afterwards.  My FI and I drank a lot more at a friend's wedding where we walked across the street to the hotel versus the friend's wedding where we had to drive over 30 minutes to get the hotel (he drank normally, about 1-2 drinks per hour, I had one glass of wine during the entire thing).

The gin, tequila, bourbon, and scotch seem over-estimated to me.  Is your group big whiskey drinkers?  Scotch and bourbon are both types of whiskey, so 7 bottles seems like a lot.  The vermouth seems like a lot too, unless your group drinks vermouth (I've only ever used it in makng martinis, and that's just to coat the glass).

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    IME guests drink 2-3 drinks per hour the first 1.5 hours. 1-2 for each hour after.    A lot of guests start out strong and then slow down at dinner.  After dinner those who don't drink will slow down to 0-1 drinks.  Drinkers will go back up to 2 or more an hour.  It ends up evening out.    I really don't think 10 is overestimating on a 5 hours reception. I would rather too much than run out.

Our liquor store allowed us to return all un-opened bottles.  Check to see if your does the same.  It was a lifesaver.

Your list looks fine, but I'm not sure what your guests drink.  We had a lot of vodka drinkers so our 140 guests drank 8 bottles of vodka, but only 1 gin was opened.   We were surprised on how many people drank whiskey.  We ordered 4 bottles of Jack Daniels and had to go back for more.   

I agree with the vermouth.  Even making martinis those bottles last a while since you only need a splash.  What are the 3 bottle of Dekuyper?   Do you really need a bottle of Cointreau and Triple sec? 

ETA - I just saw your update about 2 bars. Since that is the case I think you are fine.  We also had to double up on things because of the multiple bars.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ah, two bars.  Honestly, I think with 130 you could easily get away with one bar, especially if it's manned by two bartenders.  This would allow you to cut back on stocking, and you may still end up with unopened bottles that can be returned (or given as gifts later), instead of opening twice as many bottles as you need.
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards