Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Photog/videographer help!

So I'm just in the begining phases of looking for photographer and videographers and I want to make sure I choose the right one, but I feel like I've been getting overwhelmed with looking. I've been searching all of the message boards as well as taking the featured ones from the knot venders list, but now I have too many options. Also, I felt like I wanted to try to find a company that offered both together that made thing easier, but now I'm thinking that it might be better to get perfessionals in each field. Can anyone help ease my mind?!?

Re: Photog/videographer help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we used john loconte from www.johnlophoto.com for photography and dave from www.avwaves.com for video, both amazing and very reasonable!

hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How much would you like to spend on your photographer? It's definitely a good idea to check out independent photogs since you can meet the exact person you'll be working with. The big box vendors like The Pros/Bella, etc. are known for pulling bait & switch.
  • Options
    jessjones1989jessjones1989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with independent artists of each field.  It's hard to imagine that someone whom does both actually can focus 100% on either.  I'd recommend my photographers: www.imaginephotoaz.com.  They are superb int'l photographers and just a wonderful and brilliant couple.  if you want more info just PM me or whatever.

Best of luck ;)
    Jess
  • Options
    CapeMJA84CapeMJA84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, narrow by referrals.  See if your hall or friends have suggestions.  There are just way too many out there and to pick randomly is impossible.  These boards are great too.  You might get 10-20 suggestions.  Search each website and narrow it to about 3-5 then sit with 3-4 to pick one.

• Options
    sackersonsackerson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You may want to check out www.snapknot.com. That's where I found my wedding photographer.  You can search by location and budget. 

• Options
    UniqueNuptialUniqueNuptial member
    edited December 2011
    We used Angela Rowlings Photography for our Engagement Photos and after seeing the photos she took, we booked her for our wedding.

We are planning on using a photographer and videographer from two different companies to, like you said, "get perfessionals in each field. "

I try to plan for the worst but expect the best.   If we got both from the same company then if something went wrong, we'd be screwed.  I don't expect any issues but that's just how I roll.
    Cool

To Do List:
    • Find girl of my dreams... done
    • Propose... click to see video
    • Get Married... working
    • Live happily ever after... expected :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

http://mcelroyfilms.com they are unbelievable!  An a great price for what you get.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.photographybymarcia.com/

We used Marcia and absoulutely fell in love with her patience,artist ability,professional,and easy to work with. We book through Groove entertainment video and photos so we got a great deal. We also hired Joe as our dj which was a bonus cause Marcia and joe are married and like working together. They were an amazing vendor to work with throughout the whole process.
  • Options
    ll981248ll981248 member
    edited December 2011
    We loved our photographer!

http://www.imcreativephotography.com

VERY reasonable prices and awesome pictures.  She was flexible and easy to work with, and we got a CD of all of our pictures.

You should definitely ask if the photographers you are considering give you all the images on a disk because many will charge you extra for each picture after the wedding.  A lot of this info is hidden, so ask to be sure and check that it's in the contract you get from them.

Good luck!
  • Options
    michelle11988michelle11988 member
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely start with a photographer or a videographer and see if they have referrals for the other.  I went through and browsed probably 20-30 websites and sent out probably just as many emails for a photographer.  I ended up going with Amore Photography by David LaChapelle and he referred me to a videographer Bob Capone of Moonlight Videos.  I think the two combined will be under $4,500 which includes DVDs and a photo album.

Anniversary
  • Options
    CapeMJA84CapeMJA84 member
    edited December 2011
    I used Berryphotos and couldn't be happier.  They've got an amazing style and their packages have so much in them already we really didn't have to add on much of anything.  Plus they were real flexible and even gave us a free engagement session.  Their website is www.berryphotos.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This may be kind of a happy medium to your question:
    I'd have to agree with you that hiring a photographer and videographer from the same company might make it easier because (this probably isn't your reasoning but I thought it might be helpful) they have probably worked weddings together before. However, I hired my photographer first and they suggested a videographer to me who, they said, had a similar style to their own. They work independently but they have worked together before and they each recommend each other so I feel confident that everything will go smoothly at my wedding in May. They were also both very reasonably priced. If you can find independents who have worked together before and have a good working relationship then I think that is probably your best bet. That should definitely narrow your choices down too ;)

I hired Portrait New England for the photographer and Dave from Waves Media for the videography.

• Options
    luv2teech7luv2teech7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found a photographer by accident.  I was looking at pictures posted on a friend's FB page and noticed a link to a wedding she had been to. I fell in love with those pictures and found a local, flexible photographer.  Because I'm only having a reception here, I didn't want to pay for an entire wedding package.  If someone isn't willing to negotiate that with me, then they're likely to be inflexible at the actual reception, too. We had engagement photos taken last week so I can see in advance if I like his work and how we get along with him.  So far, I'm really happy.  I'm still looking for a video person, though....and he didn't have any suggestions, but did offer to look at their site.  He suggested finding people with sample videos only and told me to stay away if they can't offer examples of their work.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards