New York-New York City

Galapagos Art Space Venue Experience? And Budget Question

Hi everyone,

I already did a search and it seems no one has talked about Galapagos Art Space since around 2010.  Has anyone had their wedding there?  If you did, I am wondering what your total budget was.  It's about $12,000 for Saturday, but that excludes catering.  I am going to have 150 guests and a DJ and I'm not sure what our budget should be.  

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Galapagos Art Space Venue Experience? And Budget Question

• I have been to events there. Not worth 12000 is a lot just for space rental. A lot of great spaces in Bklyn if you have that kind of money to start with. Bklyn Historical, gardens, that moon place. I just don't think you get much there for that kind of and the lighting is awful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_galapagos-art-space-venue-experience-and-budget-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:4a9a495b-72a8-4c19-9aba-95263dfb7dc5Post:c8d7ff0f-e54e-4b51-88f8-4b8607e13345">Re:Galapagos Art Space Venue Experience? And Budget Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been to events there. Not worth 12000 is a lot just for space rental. A lot of great spaces in Bklyn if you have that kind of money to start with. Bklyn Historical, gardens, <strong>that moon place</strong>. I just don't think you get much there for that kind of and the lighting is awful.
    Posted by pandozas[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you mean Mymoon?</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married there in May 2013! I agree with PP, it is expensive for what you get...really just the space and the open bar.  The event director there is FANTASTIC, he is what really sold my fiance and I.  In addition, all the weddings we've been to since we got engaged have been at standard caterings halls with 2 or more weddings going on at once.  I'm even happier that we picked a place that is so unique and is just ours for the night.

The biggest problem we have run into is getting a caterer...because there's not kitchen and the "prep space" is on the third floor, we have had catering companies tell us they charge per step for getting everything upstairs.  If you decide to go with Galapagos you will definitely need to look into caterers that specialize in no-kitchen space (and the ones on the Galapagos referral list are insanely expensive).

One thing to keep in mind is that for the DJ there is already a booth and everything so they don't need to bring in their own equipment.  A good friend of ours is a DJ and he said the majority of what he charges is for bringing all of his equipment to a space, not his hourly rate for just playing music/MC'ing.

Good luck! I really like Galapagos so I'm super happy to be getting married there! And the picture opportunties are amazing in that neighborhood!
  • I think there are much nicer and unique venues for that amount of money not just in Bklyn but in the city as well.
  • MollyLadyBugMollyLadyBug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    We looked there but I think it looks too clubby for us.  It didnt feel like there was enough room to dance and people to mingle.  We didn't think that the site fee was worth the money.

A few of the caterers that we have been talking to at different venues are quoting us 200++ for dinner.  So that ontop of a site fee is not how we want to spend our money.  I would rather spend more money on flowers or my dress.
  • I just got married at Galapagos three weeks ago. It was amazing. It is a bit pricey but its not just the space. You get the space, bar, chairs, seats, linens, and you save a bunch on cups etc. You also get custom lighting and  a few servers. Adam, the coordinator, and his team are amazing to work with. They truly make sure everything from the ceremony, through the cocktail hour, through the reception run smoothly. They work with your caterer, florist, DJ, and any other vendor you have to make sure they are all on the same page the day of. You have peace of mind knowing that someone is on top of everything during you big day. It was totally worth it for me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_galapagos-art-space-venue-experience-and-budget-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:4a9a495b-72a8-4c19-9aba-95263dfb7dc5Post:1ff698ce-a8ee-4825-8c76-308405f5de03">Re: Galapagos Art Space Venue Experience? And Budget Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got married at Galapagos three weeks ago. It was amazing. It is a bit pricey but its not just the space. You get the space, bar, chairs, seats, linens, and you save a bunch on cups etc. You also get custom lighting and  a few servers. Adam, the coordinator, and his team are amazing to work with. They truly make sure everything from the ceremony, through the cocktail hour, through the reception run smoothly. They work with your caterer, florist, DJ, and any other vendor you have to make sure they are all on the same page the day of. You have peace of mind knowing that someone is on top of everything during you big day. It was totally worth it for me. 
    Posted by Gersefana[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I am considering them.  How much did you pay for catering?</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards