Favors

Need Ideas!

While my wedding is a ways away I wanted to try and figure out a good idea for favors sooner rather than later. After looking at some stuff online I had considered donating the money rather than spending it on M&M's - not as a 'favor' to my guest but I personally think it's a better use of my money than candy....

That being said I do see the point that so many of you have brought up agains that so rather than asking for opinions on that - What's a reasonibly priced alternative??????

Also if I did go with the M&M's or similar candy, how much do I give each guest??

TIA

Photobucket Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Need Ideas!

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

I say give a donation but DON'T make it instead of giving favors...give a donation because you want to.  From the way your post reads you don't really seem all that into wasting time and money on a small favor that no one will even remember the next day (or at least that is my feeling about favors).  If you are really insistent on doing a favor think of things that you would find useful...but don't put your names or wedding date all over it!  I'm sorry but if I get a wedding favor that has names and dates on it I won't use it because even though they are my friends, that date is more meaningful to them then it is to me.  Some good favor ideas would be giving each couple or person a nice wine stoppers or a set of coasters that hold pictures with a nice "Thank You for Being a Part of Our Wedding Day" in one coaster as a picture so they know what they are.

Personally, overall, I think favors are a waste of money and time...they either get left behind or thrown away.  You are already giving your guests food, fun, and a great party and that should be enough.

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best favors were always edible.  We did luscious lavender and ginger chocolates. One friend did small jars of honey to thank people for being part of her sweetest day. She went to a local apiary for the cases of honey.   Another friend mimicked that sentiment with small jars of homemade beach plum jar. (She did a beach wedding).   Another did homemade sweet and sour sauce in hopes that with any sour moment came a sweet one too. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree about donating...I'm a big supporter of the ASPCA and donate throughout the year...we are going to donate money to them and they will send these wonderful placecards that say money has been donated...we plan to take pictures from our engagement session with our dogs and make cards with our pics and the donation cards...I like this idea because we are animal lovers and feel the money will be better spent and hopefully spread the cause we support so much...however we are still having a candy bar for those who want to take something home and my fiancé is a sweet tooth and it just wouldn't be our wedding without candy! I really struggled witness the favors but once we decided to donate I just felt it was right...do what you feel expresses you guys or shows your appreciation to your guests the best
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:b8344271-f6e2-4844-9229-b6d61f28ded0Post:7709f28a-7740-4e8d-9fb6-23d2154038f3">Need Ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]While my wedding is a ways away I wanted to try and figure out a good idea for favors sooner rather than later. After looking at some stuff online I had considered donating the money rather than spending it on M&M's - not as a 'favor' to my guest but I personally think it's a better use of my money than candy.... That being said I do see the point that so many of you have brought up agains that so rather than asking for opinions on that - What's a reasonibly priced alternative?????? Also if I did go with the M&M's or similar candy, how much do I give each guest?? TIA
    Posted by Malibu2370[/QUOTE]

What I would do is pick out the container/bag you want to use first & then use one of them for a trial run so you can see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Malibu2370Malibu2370 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you all!

I like the idea of combining them, I saw an post on here about buying the Lindt truffles in bulk so I think I may put a few of those at each setting along with the donation to Children's Hospital.

Thanks for all the help :)

Photobucket Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b8344271-f6e2-4844-9229-b6d61f28ded0Post:26cd9700-5d64-459a-b988-521a5b54ea29">Re: Need Ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree about donating...I'm a big supporter of the ASPCA and donate throughout the year...we are going to donate money to them and they will send these wonderful placecards that say money has been donated...we plan to take pictures from our engagement session with our dogs and make cards with our pics and the donation cards...I like this idea because we are animal lovers and feel the money will be better spent and hopefully spread the cause we support so much...however we are still having a candy bar for those who want to take something home and my fiancé is a sweet tooth and it just wouldn't be our wedding without candy! I really struggled witness the favors but once we decided to donate I just felt it was right...do what you feel expresses you guys or shows your appreciation to your guests the best
    Posted by smarie0522[/QUOTE]

::head desk::
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • pretzelgrrlpretzelgrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response [QUOTE]I agree about donating...I'm a big supporter of the ASPCA and donate throughout the year...we are going to donate money to them and they will send these wonderful placecards that say money has been donated...we plan to take pictures from our engagement session with our dogs and make cards with our pics and the donation cards...I like this idea because we are animal lovers and feel the money will be better spent and hopefully spread the cause we support so much...however we are still having a candy bar for those who want to take something home and my fiancé is a sweet tooth and it just wouldn't be our wedding without candy! I really struggled witness the favors but once we decided to donate I just felt it was right...do what you feel expresses you guys or shows your appreciation to your guests the best

I think this is great idea-you are donating money but still giving a traditional favor/gift to your guests. Maybe you could have those candy bones on the table as connection to the donation :)
    Anniversary
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_need-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b8344271-f6e2-4844-9229-b6d61f28ded0Post:26cd9700-5d64-459a-b988-521a5b54ea29">Re: Need Ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree about donating...I'm a big supporter of the ASPCA and donate throughout the year...we are going to donate money to them and they will send these wonderful placecards that say money has been donated...we plan to take pictures from our engagement session with our dogs and make cards with our pics and the donation cards...I like this idea because we are animal lovers and feel the money will be better spent and hopefully spread the cause we support so much...however we are still having a candy bar for those who want to take something home and my fiancé is a sweet tooth and it just wouldn't be our wedding without candy! I really struggled witness the favors but once we decided to donate I just felt it was right...do what you feel expresses you guys or shows your appreciation to your guests the best

The candy bar IS your favor, then.  There's no need to announce the donation to the animal organization.  Make the donation.  Just don't AW it at your wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards