Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Adventurland Inn??

Ok so I originally wanted to have the reception in his back yard but after thinking and realizing that it would be a LOT more work, a lot to worry about, and probably more expensive I have been looking for reception venues in the Altoona area...any Ideas?

I saw Adventurland Inns website last night and it seem reasonably priced, in our location, and guests could stay and play at the water park or even go to adventurland...What do you think? Tacky or not?
JAMIE LYNN ** 6-4-11

Re: Adventurland Inn??

• Options
    edited December 2011

That is an option if that is what you like.
    We are getting married in Altoona and we are having our reception at the Mitchellville Community center in Mitchellville (they don't have a good website) It is just a large open room with a kitchen off to the side...you can bring in whatever you want as far as food and drink and such.  There is a $500 deposit (that you get back if you don't burn it down) and a $500 rental so essentially it is $500 to rent it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the idea! ill look into it =)
    JAMIE LYNN ** 6-4-11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Adventureland is a fun idea!

We are using Toad Valley Golf Course in Pleasant Hill - it's not too far away if you wanted another option.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually, the cost is just as much as (or less) having it in the yard.  For our wedding we don't even have to rent tables or tents; they're all free.  We aren't having a caterer.  They guys are cooking all the meat, the salads are going to be made by Hy-Vee and family members, and we are having family friends serve the food.  My sis had to rent some tables, chairs, and the tent.  I don't think they cost much; Dad just had to go to DSM to get them.  By ordering some of the food from Hy-Vee, they will provide all the table service, except for cups I think.  We've had a lot of people volunteer to come help us for all three of our weddings (my 2 sisters and me).  Both of my sisters weddings were catered, and it was a pain.  They didn't have enough food both times.  For the last wedding, they didn't send enough people to help, and forgot major things (plates).  The thing about doing it yourself is that it requires organization, at timeline for that week over what needs done, and teamwork.

As far as having it somewhere, check out a fairgrounds.  I know that my county's fairgroungds doesn't charge anything to have a reception in the exhibit building.  Perhaps an Elk's Lodge is an option.

BTW "tacky" is just one's opinion.  Opinions vary by people; it's your wedding so do what the two of you want.
  • Options
    EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Toad Valley in Pleasant Hill.  If you use their caterer, there's no charge for renting the facility, and it's really pretty nice.  Allison George has been WONDERFUL to work with!!!  I have had next to no stress in planning and organizing because between her and my decorator, I feel like they have everything at hand. 
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • Options
    krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are reserving room at the Ramada Tropics in DSM, with a waterpark. I love the idea of our guests being able to have fun at the waterpark after the wedding!!

I think it's a great idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to look at Toad Valley and Adventurland Inn. They are both beautiful, reasonably priced,and great people to work with. I dont know if I can choose!
    JAMIE LYNN ** 6-4-11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is also the za ga zig place in Altoona. There is a community center on Broadway near Altoona. Sorry I don't know what the name of that place is. Another thing that just popped in my head is a place in Ankeny called the Lakeside Center. You can find that place by googling ankeny parks and rec and look under rental facilities. Hope this helps some! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards