Getting in Shape
Options

Question from a Lurker...

Hi! 

I've been working out regularly for about a month now (usually 4x per week for an hour). I've been watching what I eat and cutting back, but I'm not seeing any progress on the scale. Any ideas on things I can start/stop eating or exercises that might be better? I usually do 1/2 hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of weights each visit to the gym. 

Thanks!
PostCeremony-131.1

Re: Question from a Lurker...

• Options
    You say you're watching what you eat.  How many calories per day are you taking in vs. burning?
  • Options

Also, if you lurk here, you know we are not fans of the scale. The scale often lies. Do you have a starting bf% or measurements that you are comparing yourself to? 
    Because from your pictures you don't seem like you have an excess amount of body fat mass to lose.. which means whatever you ARE burning off, you are probably replacing with muscle. That wouldn't show up on the scale. 
  • Options
    How do I calculate bf%? 

No, I don't have a lot to lose. I'm at the top end of the healthy range. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    You can't by yourself. You have to use the specialty scales that shoot an electrode (or something along those lines..) through your bod. It calculates your fat density. Do you use a gym or are you an at-home work out person? If you use a gym, they most likely have one that they can put you on. 
  • Options
    aor9487aor9487 member
    First Comment
    Ditto what PP have said. Don't look at the number on the scale, but focus on bf%. FI and I have a Tanita scale that measures everything from bf to hydration levels and metabolic age plus a whole bunch of other neat little stats. He syncs that up with his garmin watch, but my garmin isn't compatible with that feature so I just track everything through my laptop. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 92 Ready to party!
  • Options

Is there anyway you can do more than 1/2 hour of cardio? In order to see results, you really have to work out for at least 40-45 minutes, 4-5 days a week. Your 1/2 of weights is great, so no need to change that. Also, I recommend not eating carbs after lunch. I know its hard, especially for dinner when you can be tempted to have that small serving of pasta or a palm sized portion of rice, but it will pay off when you see progress! And my FI is Italian, so trust me when I say it is hard not to induldge in what I cook for him!!! Good Luck :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I will give those a shot and check into a bf scale thingy. I do go to a gym, but haven't heard of it. I will ask around! 

Thanks! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    The body fat percentage is going to be your best friend if you're at the top end of healthy.  I started out in that region as well, and since you don't have a lot of fat to lose, the muscle you gain balances out the weight you lost in fat.  If you need a number, the bf% is the way to go.

I like to just go by how certain pairs of pants fit :)

If you have a gym, usually there's a handheld bf% device that the personal trainers who work there can use.  I just go up to the personal training part of the desk once a week and ask them to borrow it for a few minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards