Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Egypt?

Has anyone honeymooned/vacationed in Egypt? We're looking at the Hurghada area along the Red Sea and then doing day trips into Cairo, Alexandria etc. How easy/expensive are the day trips? Is Hurghada as beautiful as in looks in the pictures? Or are there areas we should avoid??

Re: Egypt?

• Options
    I've looked into planning a trip to Egypt but haven't gone.  You'll probably need to fly into/through Cairo, so I would just stay there for a day or two, do a day trip to Alexandia (3 hours drive each way), and then head down to the red sea (6 hour drive from Cairo to Hurghada).  HTH
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning to go next summer on a cruise... we thought it was the best way to visit because they pretty much have pre-arranged excursions we could just book... we found one that stayed in port overnight so we could see more. 

• Options
    We did look at some of the packages but I think we've decided to fly straight into Hurghada so we can spend the majority of our honeymoom doing "honeymoon stuff", snorkeling, relaxing on the beach etc. Found a lot of day trips available where you fly out to other destinations in the morning and then back to your hotel at night. Thinking that'd be our best bet, could still see a lot of Egypt but be back in the comfort of our beach resort by nightfall. :)
  • Options
    I vacationed in Hurghada a few years ago. I would recommend you stay at a beach resort if you go there. Hurghada is a fairly new city as far as tourism goes. I've heard that Sharm El Sheikh is a better place to stay.

As far as tours around Egypt most hotels have European tour operators arranging trips. We paid approximately $ 200 pr trip.

Also keep in mind that you have to bring toilet paper going on trips as public WC don't have toilet paper/charge you pr tissue. You also have to take extra precaution to what you eat and when handling the local currency. Make sure to bring enough hand sanitizer and Imodium!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you have the time take a side trip to Abu Simbel.  My fiance and I spent 2 weeks in Egypt this summer, and it was our favourite thing other than the diving in the Red Sea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards