Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Russian Wedding--Help!

My FI is from Russia, and we both want to incorporate some Russian traditions into our wedding.  However, I think it would be cool to surprise his family with these traditions since none of them are expecting any of them.  Therefore, I don't want to ask his mom what she suggests, because I know they will really appreciate the traditions and I don't want to ruin the surprise before the wedding.
Could any of you help me and let me know of any Russian wedding traditions?  Thanks!

Re: Russian Wedding--Help!

• stasha412stasha412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am Russian and never have I heard "gorko" at any of our weddings. I would double check that, but there are two that I would strongly recommend.

Bread & Salt before Entering Reception
    It is offered to the newlyweds by both parents as a symbol of health, prosperity and long life. Both bride and groom must take a bite of the bread and the one that takes the largest bite will be the head of the family!

Stealing the Bride:
    The groom should constantly keep his eyes on the bride. If the bride gets out of the groom’s sight, she could be stolen by his friends and the groom will have to pay the ransom. Or what we do in our family is the groomsmen takes the groom away for a drink while all of the brides family and friends gets into a big circle around the bride. the groom is brought back into the reception hall where he needs to break through the circle of family and friends in order to get his bride back :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards