Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hotel blocks?

Hi all - I'm a new poster, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

My fiance has been looking into hotels for blocks of rooms for our guests. We were originally planning on two hotels of similar price and niceness, but one hotel has offered a free shuttle service for our group if we book 25 rooms. We are only inviting 100 people and most are coming from out of town, so we should hit 25 rooms if we only have one hotel option, but maybe not if we have two.

Thoughts? For full disclosure, this is the cheaper AND nicer hotel of the two we were looking at.

Re: Hotel blocks?

• Options
    I'd just book the one. Just because you block off 25 rooms or more doesn't mean more people couldn't scoop them up if need be. And if people really don't want to stay there then you can tell them of other hotels in the area. Are they also giving you a discounted rate? That plus the shuttle service would make me, as a guest, pick that particular hotel block if there were multiple options. FWIW, we only booked one hotel, 40 rooms, for our 130 person guest list. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    This seems like a no brainer, choose just one hotel.

Is there a benefit to having two if they're comparable price?
  • Options
    Examine your contract for hidden terms that could change how you feel about this. 25 rooms doesn't sound like a lot, but it is actually a high mark to hit. We had a very similar deal with 15 rooms. It was a nailbiter because our contract said any rooms that weren't booked WOULD be paid for. By us.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    We just booked one hotel.  Its nice and under a hundred dollars a night. 
  • Options
    I think you should go with one hotel, especially if you are staying in that hotel too. I think its nicer when everyone stays in one place- especially if family is traveling together but getting separate rooms - and it will be easier to hit that mark.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Is it a huge hotel? If so, I don't think you would have a problem and could most likely just stick with the one. If it is a boutique hotel you might have a space issue. Either way, I think you should check with the hotels to see if there is a limit on how many rooms you can book. We just had major issues with one of the hotels we booked saying we couldn't have as many rooms as we thought when she had lead us to believe we could have as many as we needed. So for us it was a 'thank goodness we booked both hotels'. Also, if most of your guests are OOT 25 rooms doesn't seem like a lot to me. 25 booked up really fast for us.

We told people on the hotel information card the hotel we were staying at because that is where most people want to stay. Only two people booked at the other hotel so far which is cheaper than the one we are staying at.

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's absolutely fine to just book one hotel, and as long as there are no hidden fees or terms for the one that is offering the shuttle if you book 25 rooms, I would definitely just block at that hotel.  I don't think you need to tell your guests about other lodging options if this one is reasonably priced.  I'm perfectly capable of looking up other hotels online myself if I don't like your suggestion.  I was just at a wedding that had one hotel block but didn't have a shuttle, and all weekend DH and I were wishing there was a shuttle (he was in the WP, so we had to coordinate rides since he had to be there super early), so definitely provide it if you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards