Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Re: DOC?

• Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't need it.  My reception coordinator took care of all of the set up at my venue and I am super organized on top of it so it would have been overkill.  If you are the kind of person who wants to turn it all over for someoen else to worry about, I can see how they'd be useful.
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I DEFINITELY needed one.... but I'd say it all depends on your venue and what all you have planned. If you are using a venue that does their own catering and beverage service, etc... and they have any sort of coordinator... then you're probably fine without one. If your venue is JUST a venue and you're bringing in all sorts of outside vendors that may or may not have worked your venue before, coordinators are damn near essential, even if you are super organized. It's not just about your peace of mind, either. If you're running around trying to play both "host" and "guest of honor" at your own wedding, you're going to seem flighty and disinterested to your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I probably didn't HAVE to have one but I am SO glad I did.  We worked with Maria at Ispiri Events and she was fantastic.  We had a few minor issues that she helped smooth out and she kept things on track and helped me stay sane :)  She also helped the venue coordinator set up our reception and it looked even more amazing than I had imagined it would. 

If you are at all considering a DOC and have room for it in your budget, I'd say do it.  All they can do is help! 

PS...Maria is very affordable so if you are looking for a DOC I'd recommend checking her out.
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    pcslindsers06pcslindsers06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another happy Maria at Ispiri Events customer here! She's absolutely wonderful and she is pretty much up for helping with anything. I hired her to be my DOC but somehow I've already met with her twice and have exchanged a bunch of emails haha... and our wedding is still a year away. I don't think that you could really go wrong with hiring her, she's just so affordable that she fits into pretty much any budget!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a DOC, and really wouldn't have needed one.  Our venue does their own catering and they let us bring in all of our stuff the day before.  The venue coordinator set up some of the stuff, and we paid our florist (Simply Stated Elegance) $30/hr to do the rest of it, which was really just laying out table runners and putting together the table arrangements (6 per table).  For the ceremony, I had a friend coordinate everything for me to make sure everything was ready to go when we got there and everything was on cue.  I don't know what a DOC would've done that wasn't already covered, and I figure I saved myself about $500 and didn't lose any peace of mind.
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have one and wish that I did... I was in a similar venue situation to maybe984 and ran out of time in the end to detail all the setup instructions to delegate to my friends who had volunteered to help set up!  I made quite a few mistakes and some things got missed in the end because I didn't finish the instructions for things until the week of the wedding!  Since I had a very specific vision for things and a limited timeframe on the wedding day itself for that set-up... I wasn't able to do it myself.

In retrospect, I would have hired a more affordable florist than I did and had them do all the centerpieces and DOC duties similar to what I Want Cake mentioned above.  The extra cost would have been well worth lower stress levels the week of the wedding!

In the end... no one noticed the mistakes but me and everything still turned out lovely according to the guests :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards