Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Personal Question: How much did you get?

If you don't mind answering, how much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding?  

Did you get any really expensive gifts that you were surprised by?

What was the largest amount someone gave you?  

Re: Personal Question: How much did you get?

• Options
    edited August 2010
    How much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding?  I believe we got about 2k in cash (which was the majority of our presents/gifts). We had about 125 people at our wedding.

Did you get any really expensive gifts that you were surprised by? No, I think the most expensive thing we got was our fine china dishes set which was about $85

What was the largest amount someone gave you? My parents gave us $500 but of course, they didn't pay for our wedding or reception nor helped lift a finger during the entire planning process
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding?  We recieved just a little under $18,000.00 & we has 135 people

Did you get any really expensive gifts that you were surprised by? we only got checks & cash,we did not do registry

What was the largest amount someone gave you? my parents did not give anything bc they paid for t he entire event and our honeymoon,my father in law and his wife gave us $1000(but thats not alot considering they didnt put one penny towards the wedding )my dads cousin gave us the biggest gift giving us $650.00 for a family of 5
  • Options
    We had about 145 guests and we received about 10K in cash gifts, we also did not have a registry.

The most expensive gift we got was from my husbands parents, they gave us $1,000. The average gift for a couple was $100-125, but we had a few friends that were super generous and gave $200.

Way more than we expected.
  • Options
    A friend and her DH had about 235 guests. They received just over 20,000K in cash and about that amount in items from their registry.

For her shower, one guest  (not a family member) bought ALL of the crystal they had registered for, except the 6 goblets we gave them.  It was over $2K in crystal delivered to her parent's house.

• Options
    If you don't mind answering, how much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding?  We got about $2000 in cash and Amex Gift cards.  We had 25 guests at our wedding.
    Did you get any really expensive gifts that you were surprised by?MIL purchased our honeymoon/first anniversary cruise for us.
    What was the largest amount someone gave you?H's aunt and uncle gave us $1k.   
  • Options
    Dang, some of you must have some really wealthy family and friends. Or our families just suck. Anyway, we were grateful and appreciative of what we did get.
  • Options
    The girl that got all the crystal was very surprised. It was from a friend of her parents and yes, the woman is very wealthy (own a major international company that you would all have heard of) but she really wasn't expecting that. If anything she expected maybe a $100 gift so she was very stunned.
  • Options
    Holy crap on the 20,000 girls!  I'd be happy to get $2k.  FI's Dad is well-off and gave his sister $2500 so maybe we'll get around $4k?  Just depends, I suppose.
    Our Wedding Day
  • Options
    how much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding? We got about $2k from our wedding in April. We invited about 100 and had about 80-90 show. We got virtually no registry gifts though---come to think of it, we really only recieved cash.

Did you get any really expensive gifts that you were  surprised by?Nope!

What was the largest amount someone gave you? The largest cash gift was $250. The biggest surprise ( although it might not have been that expensive) was that a friend at the last minute allowed us to use his beautiful South Florida timeshare for a honeymoon. We had not planned to take a honeymoon right away since we paid for the entire wedding ourselves so this was a great surprise and was definitely the best gift we recieved.

• Options
    i guess one of the question thats missing is how much you spent on your wedding?

my sis just got married this march and she spent 4k and she had about 160 guest and she got 6ks as gifts and the most was 800 dollars from our dad and her boss gave her 500, and the reason she only spent 4ks cuz alot of her friends pay for things like the photographer,dj, cake,cooked and decorated so she made out.
    save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • Options
    We got about $7k in cash.  Lots of gifts too (and some are stlll coming in).  Our largest gift was $750.  I was suprised and overwhelmed by the generosity of many of our guests.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    I hadn't planned on getting any money - did y'all have a card box at the wedding? I wasn't sure if I would need one...
  • Options
    Yes, you should have a card box.  
  • Options
    I wish I could answer this, but all our gifts are in my in-laws car from the wedding yesterday! Our biggest gift (I'm assuming) is from DH's parents ($1,250).  We did a honeymoon registry (please no chastising about it being 'tacky'.  We loved it and our guests were actually upset when everything was bought, because they loved the idea too) and got about $1,200 towards the honeymoon.

My biggest gift (...assuming) was from my mom which was a Dyson vacuum + Dyson handheld (HIGHLY recommend!!)
  • Options
    Wow, generally around here for a gift of money you give $30-50. 

I am greatful that many of our family members are talented in things we could use for the wedding, and they are doing this as gifts:

FSIL is making our cake/favors.
    FMIL is cooking for the rehearsal dinner.
    FBIL is our DJ.
    My Uncle is a chef in Dallas and is carving us an ice sculpture for the reception.
    A friend is making bouquets

I am happy to have their help as gifts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is an interesting question!  We got close to 2K in cash gifts and a few registry gifts.  We had about 100 in attendance. 

My biggest surprise was a family friend that gave $200.  Most gifts were 50-100.  I was also surprise to get all my sets of $68 flatware!  I almost didn't register for it. 

Of course, now I have all the thank yous to write!
  • Options
    We received about $2K in cash, checks, and gift cards.  We sent out 115 invites (spread across singles, couples, and families).  We received quite a few things from people who weren't actually invited to the wedding, people who didn't come but were invited, and some peopel who came didn't give us anything.

All of the expensive gifts we received were things we registered for.  I was surprised my aunt bought us our Emeril cooking set!

The most we recieved was a huge surprise.  $400 from my MIL's cousin...totally out of left field!  Most cash/checks/gift cards were $20-$100, depending on our relationship, age of the giver.
  • Options
    I think a lot of it depends on your location. The culture of the area greatly influences the gift giving. Certain areas have different cultures. Most areas of the country give actual gifts while where I live (Long  Island, NY) monetary gifts are considered the norm.
  • Options
    Holy smokes. $20,000 in gifts. That's a car. Just saying. haha.

I obviously haven't had my wedding, so I can't say, but honestly, I would trade having 100% attendance (aka, everyone I invited being able to come) over gifts any day. I can't wait to share my special day with my huge family! I'm close to all of them and can't imagine any of them not being there! =]
  • Options
    Jeesh, 20k? 

I'm really hoping his family can make it out from California. *crosses fingers* if not, they'll probably send a large check. 

But I'd still much rather see all of our family and friends over the gifts/cash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wow some of you are very lucky, i think it completely depends on situation my most of my guests have to travel to my wedding (from europe and canada) so i dont even expect gifts, and the rest are students :)...

maybe i should have found me some rich friends...joke im just thrilled they will be able to make it.
  • Options
    If you don't mind answering, how much cash did you get from your wedding and how many people attended your wedding? 

Close to 14K and we had about 120 guests

I got a Kitchen Aide mixer and my dish set, which was a very pleasant surprise

5k from my in-laws - - all for the "home fund"

And to go off of pp comments, I live in the Northeast but am originally from the West, it seems like over here the norm at a wedding is to basically pay for your plate. Since most plates cost about $100 thats how folks get some good gifts. Also tradition and culture play a factor as well.
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • Options
    We got over 10k in cash/checks, we got gifts from our registries, some were not on our registry/not our taste & we returned them for store credit (we had $140 to BB&B then $200 to Macy's). We had a little less than 100 guests. My MIL & FIL paid for our 2 week honeymoon in Hawaii which was approx 12k.
    Photobucket
  • Options

Close to 10K and almost every single gift off our two registries- we were shocked. We had 185 attend.

We got $1500 from my dad, after he had already paid for 90% of the wedding. We also got $800 from an uncle who I'm not even that close with, so that was a surprise.

$1500... but the average was $100, and we had a handful give $200-250, which was really generous.
  • Options
    Wow some of these amounts are insanity to me!  Maybe I need to move! JK:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards