Virginia
Options

Bakery & Florist in Blacksburg

Hello everyone! My fiance and I are driving to Blacksburg on Valentine's Day to get some planning done for our May wedding.

We would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have for a bakery for a cake and a florist in the area. Also, do we need to make appointments with these people before showing up next week?

Thank you!!

Re: Bakery & Florist in Blacksburg

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi. I would totally make appointments before dropping in. If they are busy you don't want to feel like you put in all that effort for no reason. In the Roanoke Times there was a wedding insert this morning. I would say that most of the bakers and florists in there were actually in the Blacksburg area. If you can't get a paper righ away you can go to the dollartree stores and they sell the sunday paper for a dollar all week long I believe. Other than that it might be on the roanoke times website. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    claireandwillclaireandwill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely make appointments since most places around here aren't open on Sundays, and V-day is a Sunday. I don't know much about bakers, but I have heard great things about Best Wishes florist. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the information. However, I am not in Virginia and cannot access the Roanoke Times online without a subscription it seems. I will continue my search. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will look at my insert again in the morning and try to get more of the suggestions from the paper! I will also ask some of my co-workers who went to VA Tech. Goodnight : ) oh, there is also a link somehwere on the knot site that has preferred vendors by knotties in your area. I got some good ideas from there. A lot of the suggestions are from the Blacksburg area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Also, check the weather channel. Everyone has been saying that we're getting "the big snowstorm" on that Sunday. Be safe. : )

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There is an ad for "Our Daily Bread" bakery and Cafe on South Main Street, Blacksburg, VA. Also, there is a florist is called Best Wishes and it is on Prices Fork Rd in Blacksburg. I also wanted to suggest the florist I am using if you are on a budget. His name is Jim Taetz at Crystal Orchid and he is based out of Roanoke, however, he usually doesn't charge to travel. There is also another post on here where someone is using a florist in Blacksburg and suggested it to a bride looking for a florist in Roanoke originally. It was a fairly recent post and I would look at that too. Good luck! : )
  • Options
    greeneyes10greeneyes10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know of a florist in Roanoke that's willing to travel. Her name is Angela and the website is www.corsairevents.com.
    Ditto to what everyone else says about making appointments 
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a little past Valentine's Day, so you may have already got everything completed but there are really on two bakers in Blacksburg itself.  Our Daily Bread across the street from Kroger on S. Main, and Carol Lee's on N. Main across the street from Food Lion.  Our daily bread is open pretty much everyday all day but Carol Lee's keeps strange hours so definitely make an appt for her.  Neither have great websites either.  Our Daily Bread has a professionally trained chef while Carol Lee is more homemade but still taste great.  She doesn't have a wide range of things to show in her portfolio and I would have said the same for our daily bread but I just saw them at a show last week and they had 3 great cake examples. 
    For florists, there's Best Wishes and D'Rose - both are ok but pretty much unoriginal.  They are FTD chains and like their designs to stay from the FTD design books which I think are limiting.  Best wishes is generally more expensive though.  Another close option would be Wade's Floral Shop in Christiansburg, its the wife of Wade's grocery guy.  They are usually way cheaper though sometimes you can tell it in the work.  I would recommend expanding your search for both cake and flowers to roanoke where there are more vendor options and more competitive options and prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards