North Carolina-Outer Banks

Greetings from the OBX

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know the status of things here on the OBX after Irene.  Ktty Hawk, Nags Head, KDH are all in decent shape. Some localized damage and flooding but nothing major.  Some places are still without power.  The Bay Drive area got a lot of flooding, as did other sound-side areas.

Hatteras Island is cut off as there have been 2 breaches and severe damage to 12.  The last time this happened it was 8 weeks before it was repaired.  I really hope no one has wedding/vacation plans down there in the near future. 

Duck/Corolla also suffered severe road damage and right now the Currituck OBX is still not letting anyone in.  I'm not sure what the status is.

Just wanted to give everyone an on scene report.  It's been a crazy few days - I evacuated to my sister's place in Durham and residents were able to re-enter yesterday.  Luckily damage to my home and gallery was minimal. 

I did find a stray dog so I'm trying to find her family and figure out what to do with her.  Poor little thing looks like she's had a few rough days.

Re: Greetings from the OBX

• edited December 2011

Happy to hear you are okay and the damages are not as bad as they could of been. I really hope we don't have any brides needing to go to Hatteras in the next few months. Sounds like Duck area will be open tmrw to visitors!!
    Hope you find the stray his family, can't imagine what the poor thing went through the past few days.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for the update!
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the update, indeed!So glad you made it through with minimal damage and how sweet of you to help the pup. Hope the whole area cleanup and repairs go well. We will be keeping you all on our minds I'm sure! ;)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the update! We have been going crazy up here wondering how things are going! As Sarah said, that was really sweet of you to help the dog, she must be so confused :( My heart aches for the animals left behind...
  • alibavalibav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the update.  I am supposed to get married at The Love Boat on 9/10/11.  Working on a Plan C... as plan B didn't include not being able to even REACH Hatteras Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ahhhhhh

• tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the update!  We'll be up in Corolla, so happy to see another post that it should be accessable soon.  I hope everyone south is doing okay, and good luck with the Doggie!!  Good for your for taking her in- I'm sure her family will return soon and be happy to have her back!  (unless the bastards left her....in which case you should keep her!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Laura....did you find a home for the dog yet?  What kind of dog is it?  Male or female and how old?

If you don't find the owner and still need someone to take him in, I may be able to work something out.  I have fostered dogs until I can find them a good home and told Brent the next dog I saved, I was keeping it b/c Sarabelle needs a friend :)

• obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't checked back in.  We've been without internet at my house and I've been crazy busy at work. 

The doggie is a female beagle.  Haven't found her family yet.  My fiance comes back from his "mancation" fishing trip tomorrow so we will discuss keeping her.

As far as the OBX... clean up continues.  The ocean side and bypass look fine, but the Bay Drive area is in bad shape.

A temporary bridge is going to be put in for access down to Hatteras Island towns.  Not sure if it will be just for residents or what, but I did hear that it'll take up to a month.

Now keeping an eye on Katia....UGH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards