July 2013 Weddings
Options

Arm Exercises?

I know alot of us (ok basically all...) are trying to shed some pre-wedding pounds and I am so concerned about having my arms look toned and not like sausages in my strapless sweetheart :)  Does anyone have any suggestions for the best exercises for arm flab? !Embarassed

Re: Arm Exercises?

• Options
    The best and only way to get rid of arm flab is to combine clean nutrition with cardio and weight training... unfortunately you will not get toned arms simply by doing arm exercises. You may put on some muscle, but the layer of fat covering the muscle will still be there. Check out the Oxygen magazine website... they have some great clean recipes and beginner arm workouts to get started with!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Exercise bands are great along with very light weight free weights. Unless you want to bulk up, which is not exactly the most feminine look, watch the lbs. I suggest 5 or less.
  • Options
    Chels&JimmyChels&Jimmy member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_arm-exercises?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9857cfe9-127b-47c1-ac72-ef758c8cdfd2Post:60c26550-37a5-419c-8519-4554fe6128e0">Re:Arm Exercises?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Exercise bands are great along with very light weight free weights. Unless you want to bulk up, which is not exactly the most feminine look, watch the lbs. I suggest 5 or less.
    Posted by bridget4mcg[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I respectfully disagree... I think toned, muscular arms are incredibly sexy and feminine! Contrary to popular belief, lifting more than 5 lbs will NOT give you out-of-control, manly guns. I regularly curl 15 lb dumbbells and 30 lb barbells and trust me, my arms are completely feminine... I even want them to be MORE muscular. I just need to work on getting some of the fat off of them so that my hard-earned bi's and tri's can shine! LOL. But hey... every woman wants her body to look a certain way, and I respect that. Just please don't think that curling 5 lbs is going to make you look like a man... that simply isn't true. 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks everyone. The "eating plan" you mentioned sounds a lot like the dukan diet. Great for a few weeks but not sustainable for me and quite honestly, as a health professional who has dealt with others with eating disorders, this type of restrictive diet is not healthy physically and mentally. We need whole grains for fiber. Fruit and veggies are great but not as your sole fiber source long term. I am at the gym 5 to 6 days a week and do weight training with 5 and 8 pounds 2x a week. Sorry, but the trainer said that for a woman 15 to 30 is alot and more akin to someone who wants to be a body builder which is great. He also said overhead presses and tricep dips are good for those jiggle areas! I have seen far too many ppl suffer through the pain of eating disorders so ladies please if it seems extreme don't do it. Programs like weight watchers are more nutritionally balanced and realistic long term. Like your marriage should be!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_arm-exercises?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9857cfe9-127b-47c1-ac72-ef758c8cdfd2Post:626d983c-29a9-4c2c-8418-8f855aac6081">Re:Arm Exercises?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Arm Exercises? : I respectfully disagree...<strong> I think toned, muscular arms are incredibly sexy and feminine! </strong>Contrary to popular belief, lifting more than 5 lbs will NOT give you out-of-control, manly guns. I regularly curl 15 lb dumbbells and 30 lb barbells and trust me, my arms are completely feminine... I even want them to be MORE muscular. I just need to work on getting some of the fat off of them so that my hard-earned bi's and tri's can shine! LOL. But hey... every woman wants her body to look a certain way, and I respect that. Just please don't think that curling 5 lbs is going to make you look like a man... that simply isn't true. 
    Posted by Chels&Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Completely agree! Now, if only my arms also agreed...(not that they look bad, just not quite as muscular as I'd like).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Yay Beads! Glad to find a kindred spirit here. :)

pandozas, I wasn't referring to the "dukan diet". I have never heard of it before - it sounds scary! By "clean eating" I meant staying away from processed foods and cooking meals at home.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Arm Exercises?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Arm Exercises?:Exercise bands are great along with very light weight free weights. Unless you want to bulk up, which is not exactly the most feminine look, watch the lbs. I suggest 5 or less.Posted by bridget4mcgI respectfully disagree... I think toned, muscular arms are incredibly sexy and feminine! Contrary to popular belief, lifting more than 5 lbs will NOT give you outofcontrol, manly guns. I regularly curl 15 lb dumbbells and 30 lb barbells and trust me, my arms are completely feminine... I even want them to be MORE muscular. I just need to work on getting some of the fat off of them so that my hardearned bi's and tri's can shine! LOL. But hey... every woman wants her body to look a certain way, and I respect that. Just please don't think that curling 5 lbs is going to make you look like a man... that simply isn't true.nbsp; Posted by ChelsJimmy[/QUOTE]

I agree muscular arms are great! Some people build muscle easier than others though. I am one of those people.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_arm-exercises?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9857cfe9-127b-47c1-ac72-ef758c8cdfd2Post:4006f51e-683a-41c4-a040-2dfd645a4543">Re:Arm Exercises?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Arm Exercises?: I agree muscular arms are great! Some people build muscle easier than others though. I am one of those people.
    Posted by bridget4mcg[/QUOTE]

You are lucky! Hehe. I put on muscle in my legs like crazy (which I love), but my upper body is a different story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards