Flowers
Options

Will my roses hold up?

I hired a florsit to do all the bouquets, bouts and centerpieces, however she's charging me about $10 a stem for roses ( can tell by the bout prices).  I hoped to toss some rose petals around the base of the cake and on the guest book table, and I also want roses on the altar to represent the family members who have passed.  In order to spare myself the $10/stem charge on these "extras" I was just going to go buy some stems in bulk from a local flower shop and put them out myself. 
I thought that if I purchased the roses on Friday afternoon, I can use them in bud vases to decorate the rehearsal dinner tables, and hope to throw them back in the fridge afterwards to reuse them at the Saturday afternoon ceremony.  Will this work?  Will they hold up?  Thanks!! 

Re: Will my roses hold up?

• Options
    She is not charging you $10 a stem for roses.  The bout price reflects not only the flower cost but the labor cost associated with making it and the materials needed to make it such as wire, floral tape, a pin or two, and the box/bag she will be putting it in.

If you really want to know how much the roses are per stem you need to speak with your florist but they will most likely range from $3-$5 a stem, maybe more depending on your area.

But to answer your question, roses are pretty hardy flowers.  I would suggest that when you buy them at your local flower shop to make sure that the flower bud is on the tighter side (the more open the flower the older it is).  Also, if you can, give the flower bud a slight squeeze at the base (near the top of the stem), if it is hard then it is fresher, if it is quite soft then it is older.

As long as you make sure the flowers are getting enough water and are stored somewhere cool and dark (you don't have to put them in your fridge) then they should be fine for the two days you need them.

• Options
    I hope that is not the price per stem. Roses should not cost that much. If that is the price, you could get really good fakes (real touch roses) for less and they would last a lot longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards