Wedding Woes

How do you clean hardwoods?

The hardwoods in the old house weren't sealed/waxed.  I'd get rid of the dirt and use an Orange Glo clean/moisturize/shine thing once a month or so and in between use the steam mop.  Generally the only thing on the floors was dust though.

This house the hardwoods are sealed and they are in the kitchen.  So there is more food and less dust.  I've tried the steam mop, but it doesn't seem to get up food stuff.  Yesterday I tried the Orange Glo stuff and it left some spotty areas and some streaky areas.  I suppose I could use a Swiffer, but I hate wasting a cleaning pad (or 3) every time I do my floors. 

So any suggestions?  I've been checking out those Bona things or do I just need to old school it with a mop and Murphy's?  I like the microfiber pads though because I can just toss in the wash.

Re: How do you clean hardwoods?

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    you can use microfiber cloths w/ the swiffers, and wash 'em.
  • 6fsn6fsn member

Hmmm, I didn't realize that.  What do you use for the cleaner?  The orange glo just didn't seem to clean the milk, just smear it.

• GBCKGBCK member
    not to be all hippie on you, but...DIY.  I spray a bit of vinega mix (50/50 cider vinegar and water--put in spray bottle, sqirt over floors)r on 'em and they shine up.
    (but I don't think mine are sealed and it's just the bedroom and the office--no food grime)
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I've done vinegar at the old house, but DH haaaaaaates the smell.  If I put in oils he'd have allergy attacks.  I hate this.  I'd just figured out the floors at the old house and now I have to do it all over.  I try to get the stupid milk before it dries, but those kids are ninjas.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    I know I've done other home-made stuff, that wasn't pure vinegar...but I have no idea what it was.  Washing-soda or ammonia (not both, obv!) and hot water maybe?

I know most 'experts' HATE murphy's
  • I really like the Method wood floor cleaner.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're old school and just use a dust mop and Murphys.  I never seemed to be satisfied with any other cleaner.  I do a vinegar bath when it looks like there's a bit of a buildup.  Do the vinegar in the morning after he leaves.  The smell will be gone by the time he's back from work.
  • You know a wonderful smell that seems to cover everything?  Bacon.
  • I steam mop and use Bona.  Ours are sort of sealed, the job wasn't done very well,  but this works well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-do-you-clean-hardwoods?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:80ee7a5c-c322-4122-8bf5-98db95f330c3Post:ed56ab8d-2ff7-47e1-a980-92678356a2cf">Re: How do you clean hardwoods?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like the Method wood floor cleaner.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

+1.  The almond smells particularly good.
  • Also, I bought some of these to use with a swiffer/clorox ready mop so I don't have to keep throwing away tons of disposable pads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pack-Machine-Wash-Reusable-Microfiber-Swiffer-Clorox-Ready-Mop-Refill-Pads-/290697210013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aee7689d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards