Catholic Weddings

Is Wearing Black ok?

Is it okay to wear black to a Catholic wedding? I am attending a catholic wedding next week.  I am Russian Orthodox and I know they have some feast days on which you are suppose to wear a certain color.  I don't want to offend anyone and I can find something else to wear, I just look good in black and if I can wear it I would like to but I am more than happy to wear something else.  I just don't want to offend anyone.  Help?
"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

Re: Is Wearing Black ok?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The liturgical colors are for decorations and priest's garments, not for the congregation. (Although sometimes for a pentecost mass some church's encourage people to wear red). There is no color rule for the congregation.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The rule of no black at a wedding went out about 20 years ago.

Wear whatever color looks good on you!

Other than white or off white.  That's still reserved for the bride
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ya I wouldn't wear white.  Never never.  I want to still be friends with them. :) 
    Okay.  That is good to know.  Thank so much ladies!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• AmynutritionAmynutrition member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Black looks great at formal weddings (black tie), it's fine.
    June 2012 Brides

Planning Bio
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are uncomfortable wearing black to a wedding don't wear it.  Most people don't notice now a days and it is an easy go to because everyone has a beautiful black dress or two in their closet.

Myself:  I don't wear black to wedding because it is my own personal thing about the color and it being a sign of mourning.  BUT I'm kind of super old fashioned superstitious about things like that.  Not saying I'm right but just saying I'm one of those people that will not wear black to a wedding so I can understand not wanting to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards