June 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR (well, kinda): 27 years ago today. . .

27 years ago today my FI's mother passed away in a single car accident. She was driving home and hit a patch of black ice and her car spun out of control. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt. She left behind my fiance and his little brother, ages (almost) 3 and 1. My FI and I go up to the cemetary every year on this day, and this year is no expection. Every time I go with him, I cry a little, knowing that I will never get to meet the woman who helped give me the man I love and that he never got to know his mom. My mother and I are pretty much best friends and I couldn't imagine my life without her. She is so loving and supportive, thoughtful and wonderful that it hurts my heart to know that he's never gotten to have that connection. His father remarried when he was 5, and he calls her mom, but from what he tells me, he spent his childhood in fear of her (she's on prozac now and is a totally different person, she and I get along AMAZINGLY well, i <3 her!) and he still has some lingering issues from that.

I think this year will be even harder, at least for me, knowing that our wedding is only 5 short months away and she won't be there to see her first born be married. I wish I could have known her, met her, and gotten her approval. I think she would have liked me, and hopefully approved of me, but it just breaks my heart knowing that he will never know what it is like to have the unconditional love of a mother. I know his step mom loves him, but it's not the same. I see the way she is with him, and I know she's proud of him and considers both him and his brother her sons, but their relationship is NOTHING like mine and my mom's. I think if she would have lived he would have been a total momma's boy (not in a bad way, just that they would have been close) because he's sensitive like that.

Just. . . . send me some positive thoughts so i don't completly lose it at the cemetary? I remember thinking last year that this year was going to be extra hard, knowing that we would be married so soon, and have told my FI that I would like to take an afternoon during the week before the wedding to go up and visit her grave, kind of let her know that we miss her and are thinking about her and wishing she was with us. so, yeah. that's pretty much it. I've been bawling the whole time while typing this, so REALLY, positive thoughts will help. . . . right? lol I'm a cryer. FI knows this and I think (secretly) loves it, as much as he teases me about it.

Thanks, ladies :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR (well, kinda): 27 years ago today. . .

• Options
    You and your FI are in my thoughts and prayers.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *hugs* I'm sure she approves of you and she will be there on your wedding day, just as any loved ones who have passed will be there. In spirit.
  • Options
    Good thoughts your way!!

I can't imagine losing my mom either. We've been through so much together and couldn't be closer. I know it's hard for your FI to not have her during this special time, but at least he has you in his life now!!
  • Options
    ((hugs to you both))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. FI's mom died over 10 years ago in an accident. I never got to meet her. We have several pictures in our house of her. I hear stories from FI, FFIL, and FBIL. She sounds like an amazing and spunky woman.

FFIL is marrying us and he is going to include a story about her which I think is a special touch. He just wrote the birth stories of both FI and FBIL and it was so sweet how he talked about his wife and her as a mother. 

Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Hugs!! Good thoughts to you and your FI! I sort of know how you feel...FI's little brother was killed 2 years ago (only a few months after FI an I started dating). I met his brother a few times, but never really talked to him or got to know him. I really wish that I had, and I regret not doing it while I had the chance. Your FI's mom is definitely a different, and a much more tough situation.
  • Options
    Thank you, Ladies for all of your support today! we went to the cemetery (lol, I spelled it wrong so many times and didn't even notice! ugh@myself!) and it went really well. I aske my FI if he thought his mom would have liked me, and he said "she would have loved you! If for no other reason than because I love you." This, of course, made me tear up and shed a tear or two, but I think I held it together remarkably well. I'm so happy that he feels like she would have liked me, even if he didn't get a chance to get to know her and even though it shouldn't matter so much. I don't know why I feel like it does matter, the rest of his family loves me and I love them.

Anyhow, I really appreciate you all :) It's been one of those days, though! any of you get the same way as me and once you've cried once during the day, you're weepy for the rest of it and any little thing can make you tear up? that's today in a nutshell. oomph. I'm ready for bed :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *hugs*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards