Military Brides
Options

NWR: Random

So I just got a new birth control maybe a month ago.  I got the Implanon.  The one that goes in the inside of your arm and then you are protected for 3 years from pregnancy. 

And I have to say I LOVE IT.  I have always hated birth control, but this is amazing.  My periods used to be pretty heinous.  7-8 days long and heavy.  Now they are only 3 days and super light!  I'm hoping they go away completely! 

And I was scared because I kept reading stories about weight gain but I've actually lost weight since I've been on it, so that also makes me happy :)

I just had to share because I love it so much right now!

What BC do you ladies use?
Photobucket

Re: NWR: Random

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That actually sounds great, and I've never heard of it before.

I am still on BCP, but have been thinking about switching to a different method especially because I've been travelling so much lately. I hate the different time zones and having to adapt to it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY!! Happy for you :)
    I'm on loestrin and love it (although I think it makes me super sensitive to stuff.. i cry with sooo many tv shows and before it I used to cry like.. once a year.. lol at least it's not a mean horomone :P )
    It's the pill, but I haven't had a period in like.. 6 months and I freaked at first but the gyno said it's totally normal on this pill and is absolutely no big. So I love it.. No periods=no cramps, no mood swings, headaches. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually hadn't been on BC since 2007 (I hated it that much)  But with planning the wedding I didn't want to chance becoming a pregnant bride.  And I'm bad with taking pills so I didn't want to chance messing up the pills (especially with all the stress and craziness of wedding planning) and get pregnant anyway.  

So I love that I got it put in my arm and I don't have to think about it again for 3 years.

After the 3 years they can take it out and you can get preggers right away OR they can put a new one in the same day they take it out.  I love this.

I chose not to do Mirena b/c a)you have to check it every month b)there is the possibility it can poke your mans stuff c)I haven't had a child, they can still do it but apparently it hurts significantly more.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG! How did they put it in? I had to have mine switched bc my periods still sucked and I was really scared because my mom had endometriosis and I was really scared of the infertility issues but luckily I didn't have it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:837fda04-e606-4ff2-8338-250b39554697">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]YAY!! Happy for you :) I'm on loestrin and love it (although I think it makes me super sensitive to stuff.. i cry with sooo many tv shows and before it I used to cry like.. once a year.. lol at least it's not a mean horomone :P ) It's the pill, but I haven't had a period in like.. 6 months and I freaked at first but the gyno said it's totally normal on this pill and is absolutely no big. So I love it.. No periods=no cramps, no mood swings, headaches. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen back in 2007 it made me crazy, and I would get my period every 2 weeks for like 2 weeks. It was terrible.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I am a little bit more emotional as well.  I've been trying to choose my songs for my wedding.  But everytime I think about my first dance song or father/daughter dance, I start to tear up.  Its even worse if I am listening to the song!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DD uses the ring and she loves it.

When I was younger I used the BCP and the militray only had one kind,(orthonovium) (spelling may be wrong) well I started taking it, went to Pizza hut one night with DH, felt ill, next thing I know I was inside an ambulance on the way to the base hosp. DH said I was foaming at the mouth, eyes rolled back sorta like that girl on the exersist as he said LOL So I had to go to another gyn dr. off base who prescrobed me another kind.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:a993d84e-b292-483f-a675-c1805ab09d6e">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG! How did they put it in? I had to have mine switched bc my periods still sucked and I was really scared because my mom had endometriosis and I was really scared of the infertility issues but luckily I didn't have it
    Posted by katelyn26[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, if you decide to do this DON'T youtube videos on how it goes in haha.  It might scare you out of it. I watched them afterwards.</div><div>
    </div><div>But basically they inject a local antithetic into your arm.  This part does hurt a little bit but its like getting any other shot so if you can handle that you will be fine.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Your arm will basically be completely numb.  And they will take another device that looks like a shot (except the needle on the ends looks kind of like the needle they'd use to pierce your bellybutton) but they put the needle in you arm and it pushes the device into your arm (its about the size of a matchstick) and then its all done.  I didn't feel a thing.  Like seriously nothing.  It was so easy</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:8b45cb13-a801-4fa6-a156-a7257333d356">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]DD uses the ring and she loves it. When I was younger I used the BCP and the militray only had one kind,(orthonovium) (spelling may be wrong) well I started taking it, went to Pizza hut one night with DH, felt ill, next thing I know I was inside an ambulance on the way to the base hosp. DH said I was foaming at the mouth, eyes rolled back sorta like that girl on the exersist as he said LOL So I had to go to another gyn dr. off base who prescrobed me another kind.
    Posted by mob2689[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>OH my gosh did they say why that happened???  That is so scary!</div><div>
    </div><div>As far as I know Tricare covered my Implanon 100%.  but I'm on Tricare Standard so the bill might be on its way but I haven't gotten it yet haha.  I know it was at least partially covered !</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg that's scary, but I understand not wanting to deal with the pill. I didn't like the idea either but I have the man trained. Whenever my cell alarm goes off for my bcp he jumps up and turns it off and grabs it for me. I think it's his way of compensating for the fact that I am changing my horomones so he doesn't have to wear a condom... but I think it's hilarious every night so I won't complain :P (needless to say I SUCKED at keeping up with it when he was deployed lol)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    plus I freak with needles.. so you're brave in my opinion :P .. I heard bad things about mirena too.. it's much more successful for women that have already had kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just a side effect in some cases. We had to think what I had done differently and that was the only thing. When I switched I was ok. I so wanted to get up off the table and litterly punch this guy (a base orderly maybe) in the other room if I had any strength or energy. I heard him say "she suposably passed out" HUH?? Suposably?? say what?? Oh man I still remember that.
    I litterly saw DH take two bited of his pizza which seemed like 30 min and he asked if I was ok and that is wen I went out like a light. I woke to the paramedics asking for the date, and in my head I am thinking on a good day I couldn't tell you the date! LOL 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't look at the needles.  I really only know how it is done because she explained it to me while she was doing it.  And then I was curious afterwards and watched a video of it being done on youtube haha.  But honestly it was quick and painless.  And now I don't have to pick up an Rx's and I don't have to worry about taking any pills anymore.  Its not for everyone but its perfect for me!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hated the pill as well I am not one that likes meds. and back then the IUD was so bad and so many horror stories that the pill was the only choise other than condoms
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    greeneke- that is awesome. If I could handle needles I would be all over that. I have to take anxiety meds just for a dental check-up though so that's not possible for me >_< lol.

mob- that. is horrifying. Freakin' nuts. I am officially freaked out. lol! OMG. Was it a blood clot or what? did they ever figure it out?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:5494fbf2-b567-4c1e-930f-7efd0dc7af29">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a side effect in some cases. We had to think what I had done differently and that was the only thing. When I switched I was ok. I so wanted to get up off the table and litterly punch this guy (a base orderly maybe) in the other room if I had any strength or energy. I heard him say "she suposably passed out" HUH?? Suposably?? say what?? Oh man I still remember that. I litterly saw DH take two bited of his pizza which seemed like 30 min and he asked if I was ok and that is wen I went out like a light. I woke to the paramedics asking for the date, and in my head I am thinking on a good day I couldn't tell you the date! LOL 
    Posted by mob2689[/QUOTE]
     @ First..and it was the lowest dose too that I was on. It was scary but it was scarier that I couldn;t tell them the date , I thought I was doomed when they asked LOL so I did tell them even on a good day I couldn't answer that correctly so they asked another question. The smelling salts were awful :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    firsttimer-yea maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for you!  Hey do what works for you right?

mob-I can't even imagine going through that let alone that orderly saying that.  i definitely would have taken every ounce of strength and punched him in the face!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Omg I can't do needles lol. My belly button piercing hurt too lol. And I was horrible at taking the pill when he was deployed too. When it got close I was like ugh I have to get my period (not skip to the next month) because I'll actually need it soon lol. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That was almost 30 yrs ago and I still remember his tone when he said that! I so wanted to file a complaint but DH didn't want to cause riff on the base. Later on what of his guys in the shop did that on a whole other issue though. That's a whole other story LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:14c92e1f-57b7-4978-a6c2-96dc74d5fdf3">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]Omg I can't do needles lol. My belly button piercing hurt too lol. And I was horrible at taking the pill when he was deployed too. When it got close I was like ugh I have to get my period (not skip to the next month) because I'll actually need it soon lol. 
    Posted by katelyn26[/QUOTE]

<div>It won't hurt because they use a local antithetic. When I say you don't feel anything.  I'm not exaggerating.  Your arm in absolutely completely numb</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to be a phlebotomist and drew pppls blood didn;t phase me one bit, but don;t even come after me with one! I am a big ninny to them as well, I have one good vein you blow that I am sol. I tell patients that I am an artist but  I am a crumby artsist, the only thing I can draw is blood, can;t even draw a decent stick person lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so glad you posted this. I have been debating if I want to get this, but haven't known anyone who has! :) Thank you!
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No problem! I was really nervous to get it too because I didn't know anyone who had it and the reviews online were really back and forth.  People either LOVED it or HATED it.  

I finally decided to just go for it because:

1. If I really ended up hating it, I can have it removed.
    2. I had to realize that just like ANY birth control every person's body will react to it differently!

But I think its great you should definitely try it out! I'm loving it!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never even heard of that as an option!!! And here I thought I had thought about all birth control possibilities...

I used to be on the Patch, which was very convinient and I loved it, although FI wasn't super pumped about me having a random plastic thing stuck to my butt all the time lol he liked it more than having babies.

When it was time to renew the perscription I went to a new doctor (because now I'm at a new school) and she pretty much told me she refused to perscribe the patch and my options were the Pill or going to someone else. It was a horrible experience, but now I'm on the Pill with no issues :-P

But next year when it's time to renew again, maybe I'll try that implant!!!
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    greeneke2 - How do they get the thing out of your arm?

I was on some BCP three+ years ago for about a month, but it made my boobs hurt so much, I couldn't take it anymore.
    I was just perscribed Apri about two months ago, but since I just got health insurance, I'm starting other meds and I don't want to start two different ones at a time because I'm definitely not immune to crazy side effects and I like to know what med is giving them to me. Haha.
    Luckily (but really, unluckily), my FI is overseas, so I don't need to worry about pregnancy quite yet. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i know how you feel about crazy side effects because that is usually me. but i can honestly say i really havent had any side effects with implanon.

but to answer your question to get it out they numb your arm again and make a small incision with a scalpel and then they can push it right out. 

and if you want they can put a new one in the same day they take it out.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh jeez. That sounds like how they take out microdermals. Oof. You'd think that if I can get 20+ piercings and 10+ tattoos in 3 years that needles wouldn't bother me, but something like that, scalpels freaaak me out. o.o

I'll look into it though. It seems like the easiest way to have BC.
    My friend got the shot, but once she came off of it, I guess she bled for a year..
    Medications scare me. Haha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    well luckily your arm is completely numb so you dont feel a thing
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's more of the idea. Like, thinking about it and picturing it in my head. I'm not bad with pain, it's more the idea of pain? Haha. I don't know.. but it seems to be worth it for something you don't need to worry about for three years, and you can get pregnant without waiting however long.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not even on any right now. I have to go to the gyn next week and I'm totally freaking out about it. H and I want a baby. Although somedays I think it's more me than H. I mean, he is in Japan, so I don't see the need for it. My mom had alot of trouble getting preggers. She actually had me right before menopause when she was 39. I'm going to make sure that it's not going to be super hard for us to concive too. I was using the Nuvaring, but since I stopped more than a year ago, I'm not ovulating. Although when I got my refferal and tricare approval and saw all this stuff about "cervical cauterization" I almost fainted. None of it sounds fun... but hopefully they'll figure it all out.. and we'll be able to get preggers when H comes home!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:233a4e20-484c-499b-a46f-cd2cd364e8c2Post:ef5a9332-be65-42ca-9ac4-3af92a83a0a4">Re: NWR: Random</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's more of the idea. Like, thinking about it and picturing it in my head. I'm not bad with pain, it's more the idea of pain? Haha. I don't know.. but it seems to be worth it for something you don't need to worry about for three years, and you can get pregnant without waiting however long.
    Posted by MissAnnThropee[/QUOTE]

<div>I can totally undestand what you mean.  I didn't watch them do it.  And honestly I if she wasn't telling me what she was doing while she did it, I never even would have known it was happening.</div>
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards