South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Welcome to the "Slowcountry"??

Seriously.  I know that I got engaged and started planning in the wedding season.  But should it take 3+ weeks to get proposals back from vendors??
I'm on to the 3rd vendor taking their time.  It's stressing me out.
I'm feeling they might be on island time or something.

Re: Welcome to the "Slowcountry"??

• Options
    katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah there are some that are significantly slower than others.  I got some responses as long as a month after my inquiry and I had already booked someone else!  The slowest for me were music people, except for the guy I booked who was very prompt with responses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pretty much all of the vendors I have spoken with have gotten back to me very promptly. The ones who don't, I automatically rule out. I do not want to stress about getting in touch with them when I really need them. In their defense, however, summer time is heavy wedding season and they are probably all swamped.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree with woodsand.  I had two caterers I was working with, New Dream and Hamby's.  Both conversations happened on the Friday before Labor Day.  New Dream sent me a proposed menu with cost on MONDAY (Ahem...that's LABOR DAY) where as Hamby's....I'm still waiting for.  Like Woodsand said, if they take too long, ESPECIALLY when Hamby's specifically told me that I would have something by Tuesday the 6th and didn't, I ruled them out.  Don't get me started with Stage Presence!  Had a wonderful chat with Alex at the wedding show...called a week later to follow up.  Was given his email...emailed him and I STILL haven't heard boo from him.

My advice, go with a smaller company.  They will treat you better and appreciate your business. I'm not knocking Hamby's or Stage Presence, but they are so well known, busines constantly comes to them. If they lose a $6k client, to them, it's no big loss, somebody else will come knocking on their door!

Good luck!
    Alexandra
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOATHE HAMBY'S!!!!!!!  They INFURIATED ME!!!!! First off, I filled out their online form to request more information, and no one ever contacted me.  Then, a few weeks later, I called them on a Wednesday to get a proposal.  No one was available to speak to me then, so we scheduled a time for a phone conference which was planned for a week after my first call.  Then, an hour later on the same day of my original call, someone called me back to schedule the appointment I had already made!!!  When the day of the phone conference finally arrived, I didn't receive the phone call until 45 minutes after our scheduled time.  The woman I spoke with did not at all sound thrilled or excited to be speaking with me.  Over the course of our conversation, I explained to her that we were on a very tight, very strict budget with absolutely no wiggle room.  I told her that my budget included the cost of all rentals & servers, and I know I explained this to her at least three times. I told her I wanted the best bang for my buck, and having great food that fit within my means was the most important thing.  So, nearly A MONTH later, I get a proposal emailed to me and the total was $3,000 over my budget.  $3, 000!!!!!!!!  Not only was it over, but the proposal consisted of plastic plates & cups when I specifically expressed I wanted China, and to top it all off, the insane woman had the audacity to have another one of her collegues call and leave me a message stating, "Cheryl wanted me to call and tell you that she realizes she was a little bit over your budget, so if you want her to rework the numbers for you she will".

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!!!!!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY, I WILL NOT BE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM AND HIGHLY, HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT NO ONE ELSE DOES EITHER!!!!

I triple dog dare that woman to call me again...
    My Food Blog: Slim Pickin's Kitchen Our Wedding Website Photobucket Anniversary Daisypath Halloween tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 BFP #2: 2/16/13...Please, baby, please be a sticky *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_welcome-slowcountry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:1fedaf73-93d4-47ca-ad5f-18e73d6be1e5Post:7fc2d8cc-533d-42c8-ba2b-22e73cd105f9">Re: Welcome to the "Slowcountry"??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOATHE HAMBY'S!!!!!!!  They INFURIATED ME!!!!! First off, I filled out their online form to request more information, and no one ever contacted me.  Then, a few weeks later, I called them on a Wednesday to get a proposal.  No one was available to speak to me then, so we scheduled a time for a phone conference which was planned for a week after my first call.  Then, an hour later on the same day of my original call, someone called me back to schedule the appointment I had already made!!!  When the day of the phone conference finally arrived, I didn't receive the phone call until 45 minutes after our scheduled time.  The woman I spoke with did not at all sound thrilled or excited to be speaking with me.  Over the course of our conversation, I explained to her that we were on a very tight, very strict budget with absolutely no wiggle room.  I told her that my budget included the cost of all rentals & servers, and I know I explained this to her at least three times. I told her I wanted the best bang for my buck, and having great food that fit within my means was the most important thing.  So, nearly A MONTH later, I get a proposal emailed to me and the total was $3,000 over my budget.  $3, 000 !!!!!!!!   Not only was it over, but the proposal consisted of plastic plates & cups when I specifically expressed I wanted China, and to top it all off, the insane woman had the audacity to have another one of her collegues call and leave me a message stating, "Cheryl wanted me to call and tell you that she realizes she was a little bit over your budget, so if you want her to rework the numbers for you she will". ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!!!!!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY, I WILL NOT BE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM AND HIGHLY, HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT NO ONE ELSE DOES EITHER!!!! I triple dog dare that woman to call me again...
    Posted by scamberlous3000[/QUOTE]

I am REEEEALLY late on this (pretty new here so I was backtracking to see some older posts for good info that I had missed!) But, I just read this and couldn't help but comment because I had the EXACT same experience with Hamby's just this week! I filled out the online thing, never got a call back, finally called them, noone was available so we set up a phone conference. She called on time, but seemed rushed and I could barely keep up with all of the questions she was asking so quickly. I didn't give her a really specific budget, but did give her very specific choices for my menu and bar. I talked to her on Friday and she said I should have a proposal by Wed or Thurs... didn't get anything. After almost 2 weeks I finally called and got her "assistant" who blamed it on the fact that their owner prices everything out himself and sometimes gets really busy, and then in the same breath said "She's working on it right now, she just has to finish up your rentals." I'm sorry, but if you know your boss takes a while to price the food, I would have everything else completely done so that the minute he has the food priced I could send a proposal out! She also proceeded to tell me "Of course, she didn't forget about you!" (Which never came out of my mouth and makes me think that she did). Also, the assistant told me that she would call me back later that afternoon and let me know when I would be recieving my proposal. Nope... never called... I recieved my proposal 3 days later and the first line was "I'm not sure if my assistant sent this yet, so I'm sending it just in case." Very unprofessional, if you ask me.... I hear the food is amazing, but I'm not impressed with the service so far and will very more than likely NOT be going with them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards