Connecticut
Options

Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place!

Originally, we figured we'd have about 100 guests, maybe a little under, so we'd be able to cram 10 tables of 10 in the main ballroom.  Then in the room to the right (if your looking in from the patio) we'd have the food stations set up, and then do the dance floor in the left room (and use that as the ceremony room if it rains).  Now we're thinking we might have just over 100 guests, maybe 110.  I really don't think we can fit any more in the main ballroom.  I saw it set up for a wedding of 10 tables of 8 and that seemed like a lot.  So my question is, how are you splitting up guests?  Should I put a few tables in the dance floor room?  I hate splitting up, but I'm not into renting a tent for the lawn.  I figured maybe I could put some of the younger (teens/20's) cousins and some friends in the dance floor room because the music will be louder, but I dont want it to seem like they are banished!  Any ideas are welcome!
8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have 130 on our guest list now and are planning to split the tables up.  We are doing food stations that will be set up on the patio and the DJ (per his request) will be set up in that little nook in the main room (closest to your dance floor room).  He said he doesn't need a lot of space and it works best for him that way.  I'm hoping with the stations outside and people walking and mingling no one will be separated for too long.  I honestly haven't thought any of it completely through yet because I still have so much time. We're probably only seating 8 people at a table...my FMIL thinks 10 will be too much and since we have to use the other rooms anyway we want everyone to have enough room.

Sorry I'm not much help!

• Options
    TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our guest list hovers around 140 and we were planning a similar layout. Main ballroom for most of guests, food on the right (we are having a buffet) and then dance on the left. I plan on putting younger guests/work guests in the "dance" room (since we were NOT planning to invite any work guests, and then fiance got a little overeager and invited them verbally...I don't feel all that bad offending people I barely know :P ).  I agree it feels like we are "banishing" them a bit but to be honest the rooms are attached, and people will be moving around anyway for the bar and buffett.  What are you planning to do for your cocktail hour? We aren't getting married at the mansion, but we hoped to have cocktail hour outside on the patio. We vetoed tents (too expensive and we rented the house, we want to USE it, you know?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't get married there, but went to school at Avery Point and we had quite a few functions at the Branford House (our holiday party was there every year), so I'm pretty familiar with the space.

My instinct would be that as long as you aren't doing anything "coordinated" while people are sitting at the tables (for example, giving a toast) that the people in that room would miss out on, it will probably be fine.  I'd say you're better off splitting guests up than over-crowding the one room.

Based on our holiday parties, I would however recommend that you keep the food all in one place.  Our food stations were typically set up with a few in each room, and it was kind of inconvenient that way, esp. since you didn't know what all the choices were without walking around both rooms. 

I'm sure your wedding with be beautiful, it is a gorgeous location!  We considered having our reception there, it has so many gorgeous photo opportunities.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sent you a PM.

• Options
    bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys.  We hope to do our cocktail hour on the patio, weather permitting.  I think it may be ok, esp if we put the bar in the dance floor room, or out on the portico right outside that room b/c that will keep people floating in and out.  Thanks for the input, I'm so afraid of offending anyone!
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've got a guest list of around 160, expecting 130-150 to show.

We're having cocktail hour on the side patio, then we're doing toasts before we go inside (which I think works better anyway, especially with buffet/station eating since people are sort of stuck at their table during toasts).  Once we're inside, we're splitting people up among the 3 rooms with 1 station in each room (I can send you an image of our sketched layout if you want - I'd just have to scan it).  We're having 8 people per table because 10 is definitely too crowded at a 6' table.  They have ten 7' tables which can fit 10, though.  Based on my calculations, you can very comfortably fit 5 tables in the far left room (if you're facing the water), 8 in the main room plus our long rectangle head table, and 4 in the right room.  So if you use the room on the right as the dance room, you'd still be perfectly fine sitting everyone in the other two and having the stations set up among them.

We're renting a tent to put on the back patio for dancing.  I've seen pictures that Katherine has in her office and it's perfect!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is some really helpful information. My wedding is at the Branford House in less than 2 months and I am still sort of struggling with the seating thing. I'm thinking cocktail hour, introduction and toasts on patio. When we move in I will likely split guests between main room and dance floor room. The little room on the right will house the candy buffet, buffet and photobooth. I'm pretty nervous about it, hope it works out and no one feels excluded.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_branford-house-brides-anyone-knows-place?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:7b3f7ce9-0063-4239-9532-3fc41e833aebPost:c70e8475-39b4-4e7a-9828-bdfa9649a5b9">Re: Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is some really helpful information. My wedding is at the Branford House in less than 2 months and I am still sort of struggling with the seating thing. I'm thinking cocktail hour, introduction and toasts on patio. When we move in I will likely split guests between main room and dance floor room. The little room on the right will house the candy buffet, buffet and photobooth. I'm pretty nervous about it, hope it works out and no one feels excluded.
    Posted by monef[/QUOTE]

Why not spread guests out in all 3 rooms, put the buffet in the far room (to the left when facing the water), the candy buffet in the main room, and the photobooth in the dance floor room (where people will likely get a lot of use out of it anyway)?  This would keep guests moving about, which I feel like keeps them from feeling excluded.

I have planned dozens of events for my various jobs, so 'flow' was always a key thing.

Anniversary

• Options
    TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_branford-house-brides-anyone-knows-place?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:7b3f7ce9-0063-4239-9532-3fc41e833aebPost:924da496-2b9c-421d-a0b7-6c670308f347">Re: Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place! : Why not spread guests out in all 3 rooms, put the buffet in the far room (to the left when facing the water), the candy buffet in the main room, and <strong>the photobooth in the dance floor room (where people will likely get a lot of use out of it anyway)</strong>?  This would keep guests moving about, which I feel like keeps them from feeling excluded. I have planned dozens of events for my various jobs, so 'flow' was always a key thing.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Agree with Calindi on this, we have been warned to put the photobooth as close as possible to the dance floor (and bar). Those are the people who will take the best pictures too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kfidalgokfidalgo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Brides,
    I know I'm a little late, but if any of you see this and would be willing to message me a picture of how they layed out the tables or how they want to lay them out that would be so awesome! I'm having a hard time figuering out where tables would be best placed. We will probably have around 130 guests and I was hoping to put 6 tables in the main room (bridal party and immediate family) and still have room to dance along the side (on the other side of the entry not where the stairs are). Not sure if theres enough room though.
    Thanks so much for any advice or pictures!!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_branford-house-brides-anyone-knows-place?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:7b3f7ce9-0063-4239-9532-3fc41e833aebPost:6047eab4-c0f2-4976-b7bb-c4c20b12ecdd">Re: Branford House Brides- or anyone who knows the place!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Brides, I know I'm a little late, but if any of you see this and would be willing to message me a picture of how they layed out the tables or how they want to lay them out that would be so awesome! I'm having a hard time figuering out where tables would be best placed. We will probably have around 130 guests and I was hoping to put 6 tables in the main room (bridal party and immediate family) and still have room to dance along the side (on the other side of the entry not where the stairs are). Not sure if theres enough room though. Thanks so much for any advice or pictures!!
    Posted by kfidalgo[/QUOTE]

Why just the main room?  Why not use one of the side rooms for dancing?

Katherine (the contact at Branford House) has a bunch of layout diagrams if you ask her.  I would think it would be awkward to have the dance floor in the main room with tables.  I guess you could put it in that little alcove and just put tables up near the window, with a little path between the dance floor and the tables to the door into the next room?  I guess that's what I'd do if I wanted to fit the dance floor in the main room.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards