South Carolina

Vendor Reviews

Just got married on Hilton Head Island. Woohoo!

Venue/Caterer: The Dunes House in Palmetto Dunes - A+
The Dunes house is a restaurant (just renovated a year or two ago), but they close it for special events. It has a giant deck right on the beach, a full bar, an indoor banquet room and bathroom facilities. IT WAS PERFECT. We had a cocktail hour there, stepped out to the beach for the ceremony, then back to the deck for dinner and dancing. I can't say enough good things about the location, food, and service. Ann stayed the entire time as the coordinator and did a FABULOUS job of keeping everything on track. My only problem was that the service was a little too fast - they cleared my plate while i was up talking. I thought their prices were a bit high, but now that i have seen all that they did for me, it was WORTH it.

DJ/Guitar: Charlie Roberts - A+
I booked Charlie online (which makes me nervous... I think a DJ can make or break a party). Charlie was GREAT. He provided all my music. He played music during our cocktail hour, then acoustic guitar for the ceremony on the beach, played more music during dinner, and rocked us out after. He added in his own music, and it was great. He does a great job of reading the crowd and remains very unobtrusive (not the loud DJ type). He always played exactly the songs i asked for, and added in great choices when i didn't have one picked (like cutting the cake). He even checked with me when someone requested a 'prank' song to make sure I would think it was funny. He made the reception FUN.

Photographer: Shelly Hutchinson, Belle Rouge Studio - TBD (A+ so far)
Haven't seen the pics yet, but I loved her personality and attitude. She did a great job of relaxing and posing us, and got lots of pics of my beautiful family. She was there early, stayed a little late, and was overall very wonderful to work with. She knocked out the photos quickly too, since we requested to not be away from the party for long.

Re: Vendor Reviews

• edited December 2011

Thanks for the reviews.  I checked out Charlie Roberts after reading your review.  Just wanted to double check that when you say "he played music" do you mean he DJs using the original artist or that he sang himself.  Fiance thinks he has a good voice but is worried that Charlie sings everything himself and doesn't use equipment to play the original artist.  Thanks in advance :)

• AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He did both - he DJs the original song and he can play/sing current music. Frankly, when he sang a snow patrol song, i didn't realize it wasn't the original till i happened to look over at him. For every song that I requested, he played the original... and i asked him to feel free to mix in his own singing, so he did. Most of the classic party songs were the originals. It was really a good mix. And i just loved that he could walk down to the beach and play acoustic guitar for the ceremony. He has a great skill set, and i really felt that he made the party. Someone ELSE tipped him too - if that tells you anything!

Feel free to ask me more questions - i know exactly how you are feeling when trying to book people!
  • edited December 2011
    where'd you get your hair done? I am getting married at The Dunes House as well! and what about your cake? flowers? 

I'd love to get all the scoop! :)

Thanks!
  • AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Marie - congats! I loved the dunes house! It's beautiful and beachy.

i got my hair done at All About Me - Priscilla did a great job and kept me relaxed.

My sister did my cake, but if i'd had it done here, i would have either gone with Publix or Signe's heaven bound bakery. Signe's cakes are not as fancy looking as some brides want, but they are YUMMY.

The dunes house provides a tall centerpiece and candles, so i just ordered 30 hydrangea stems from costco and that worked out great. Only $90 - delivered two days before, you just cut the stems and put them in water in the fridge right away, and they do great. i put them in short 3" square vases on the tables (and i gave Ann my vases, so they should have several now).

The food was great. We had appetizers and a buffet dinner. The shrimp risotto was amazing. We had a full bar and enjoyed the heck out of it. :)

PM me and i can send you some pics or answer other questions.

-Lori
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards