November 2012 Weddings

Facials

I posted this on the Beauty board also, but I'm not getting any responses there, so I was hoping you ladies could help.

I've read in several wedding articles that it's a good idea to regularly schedule facials a few months prior to your wedding.  I've never had a facial before and I really have no idea what they entail.  When I looked up facials on a local spa's website, there are many different options listed.  I have no idea which one I would go with.  Could someone please give me some tips on what to look for and what to expect from a facial?  I have sensitive skin, a little more on the dry side, and I get breakouts every once in a while.  Also, here's a link to the site I'm on so you can see what I'm looking at: http://www.EvolveSalonSpa.com/skin-care.html.
21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Facials

• I would suggest just telling the salon that ("I have sensitive skin, a little more on the dry side, and I get breakouts every once in a while.") and how long a procedure you want, and seeing what they recommend.
  • The Elemental Nature Facial said that they tailor the facial to your skin type. This seems like a good first choice to me! Let the professionals tell you what your skin needs and then see how you like the results. Knowing if you did or didn't like something will help you pick others in the future...
  • I'm not sure what kind of explaination your  looking for exactly... so don't think that I think your stupid. Just incase you already know this..

They put different face masks on and massage different products into your skin. It is kind of hard to explain because there are so many different kinds. Some use different machines to suck things out of your pores and some use hot towels or mist to clear your pores. So pretty much, you lay down like you're getting your eye brows waxed, and they perform a series of procedures to your face.

Also, I really suggest googling "types of facials" or something like that. Then maybe you'll find out which one you'd like best.
  • I had one facial before and basically they rub a lot of creams in and suck your face with that pore sucker haha but honestly, it was a little uncomfortable for me because she did pick out the pimples and blackheads and whiteheads so that hurt but not like a lot of pain but it was a little uncomfortable for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't know Ulta has a spa and does facials for $20! AH! I need to go! I was just going to come back here and post that it makes me angry how expensive facials are and TK makes me feel like I should go every month! Yeah, right... while I'm paying for a wedding... psh!
  • Thanks ladies!

Christine, there is actually an Ulta like 5 minutes from my house.  Never been there though.  I'll definitely check it out!
  • Here's my view on retail skin treatment: You can go to a day spa and get facials, or you can go to a doctor and get medical treatment. Done well, they probably work about the same. The doctor route needs to be started early. Most medical treatments take at least 6 weeks to work. A facial will have some benefit on your wedding day even if it's just one just 2 days before. The medical treatment may have tax advantages, and therefore work out to be cheaper, than going to the day spa.
  • I'm not sure I necessarily need medical treatment though.  I'm not having problems with my skin - I would just like it to have a more glowing appearance on my wedding day.  I actually have an appointment with my MUA in a few weeks - I could see what her thoughts are.  I might not even need a facial, because I don't really have problem skin.  I just read about them and thought it might be a good idea.  Your view makes a lot of sense though.  I would much rather have insurance cover a treatment than pay for it out of my own pocket.  Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Having gone to esthetics school - if you are going to do a facial for your wedding, definitely do it a week before, especially if you've never done one before.  Facials are meant, as a PP said, to help cleanse the skin and get rid of impurities.  For a lot of people, once a facial is done, most will be red and/or break out because facials tend to be a deep cleaning procedure.   This is why it's recommended that you start doing facials more routinely so the chance of breakouts and redness happens less. 

I recommend starting with a basic facial - part of the routine, other than cleansing, toning and moisturizing is that they will take out the black heads from yoru skin.  This will be unpleasant but good because black heads block the pores.  They will either use a tool or the tips of their fingertips.  The more facials you have, the more you can try out different ones.

Hope this helps.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_facials?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:4725ac9b-0616-4896-8097-7d60a3cae01ePost:1d44ce34-8814-4164-b71f-09254fc0dd34">Re: Facials</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having gone to esthetics school - if you are going to do a facial for your wedding, definitely do it a week before, especially if you've never done one before.  Facials are meant, as a PP said, to help cleanse the skin and get rid of impurities.  For a lot of people, once a facial is done, most will be red and/or break out because facials tend to be a deep cleaning procedure.   This is why it's recommended that you start doing facials more routinely so the chance of breakouts and redness happens less.  I recommend starting with a basic facial - part of the routine, other than cleansing, toning and moisturizing is that they will take out the black heads from yoru skin.  This will be unpleasant but good because black heads block the pores.  They will either use a tool or the tips of their fingertips.  The more facials you have, the more you can try out different ones. Hope this helps.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards