Outdoor Weddings

So... I have to rent port-a-potties...

I've been doing alot of research on portable restroom trailers, outdoor restrooms, and port-a-potties over the past month because my venue requires that I rent them. The venue is the most beautiful place I've ever been to, so it's worth it, but the bathroom issue is getting me down. I am from Harrisonburg, VA and the portable restroom trailer companies that service my area ask almost $3000 (more than 4x what I'm paying for my venue which I'm renting for 3 days and 2 nights), which is not in my budget at all. Most of these trailers are not actually very "handicap" accessible either, which would be an issue for a couple of my guests. My fiance is a little bummed about the porta-potty situation, but it's the best we can do. All of this said, I need some advice and help. How do I dress up my portable restroom? I plan on "hiding" it via an enclosed tent area or a beautiful garage that's located on the property. I know I need to be sure that there is plenty of lighting, and I need to be sure to provide amenities for my guests. Anyone out there with experience who has some suggestions for making the best of a "porta-potty" situation?

Re: So... I have to rent port-a-potties...

• bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    I know lots of people have problems with porta-potties, but I wouldn't. Here's an article that may help you out/make you feel better: http://offbeatbride.com/2007/01/wedding-porta-potty

ETA: There is some serious potty humor and bad language in that article. I don't really think you need to write a poem about your porta-potties, or mention them in your invites.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we have to rent regular ones too. the trailer is not in our budget. I am putting a sign on the front. they'll be off to the side from the party, and I am going to set up a seperate little tent with a table with hand sanitizer, tolietries, clean paper towels, etc.  we are also renting a hand washing station for an extra few bucks.

our reception is casual, so i don't expect guests to show up in floor length silk dresses or anything like that. i am confident it will be just fine
  • I live in Harrisonburg, Va too! (We moved here for school but the wedding is in Roanoke)

We're looking into the port-a-potty business too, and I'm concerned for my guests in wheelchairs. I was wondering if you could explain how they're not handicap friendly? We haven't gone looking yet, but as soon as we do, I'll PM if I find anything better. :)

As for dressing it up, the tent is a great idea. If it's tented with sides, you could hang a cute little sign out that says ladies and gents or just "restroom." Make sure you fill it with accomodating things, like Febreeze air freshener. I really like the Thai Dragon Fruit scent. Then put an emergency basket inside with maybe some flowers. Find a way to "celebrate" the port-a-potty so people don't dread it.
  • mbaetembaete member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I would reccomend getting handi-capped portapots. They are alot bigger and are easier for guests who are dressed up! I am doing this!
  • Since it is an outdoor wedding I am going to be honest. I am marrying a country boy and as much as it grosses me out to think about it I realized that once the sun goes down all the boys (my father and uncles excluded) will be walking to the bush or field to do their business and not wait in line for a portta potty. That in mind, i actually rented less than the 50 ppl to 1 unit as reccomended because I figured that the girls will be using them primarily. I rented the nicest one they had (flushable toliet and working sink) for the ladies as well as an additional outside sink unit for anyone who wants to wash their hands before or after eating.

I also am making little totes that will hang on the door of the porta potties, an air freshners, bug spray, hand sanitizer, a mirror etc. Just some extra things that the ladies will probably appreciate.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards