Jewish Weddings

Hanukkah Menu Ideas

I am hosting a small Hanukkah get together and was looking for some side dish suggestions.  Of course I'll be serving the staples - home made latkes and sufganiyot.  I keep kosher and would like to keep the meal dairy, so no meat suggestions please!

Thanks much :D
image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas

• Cyndi&MattCyndi&Matt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    can you share your sufganiyot recipe? 

you could do a sweet  kugel.
    Clicky to our blog!! imageimage 14 Months Old!
  • edited December 2011
    What about kasha varnishkas?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We always do appetizing with latkes - lox, baked salmon, whitefish, herring, bagels, etc......

Basically, for us, the latkes are the side dish.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any real suggestions, but just wanted to say this is an interesting question/discussion for me. I've always had latkes with brisket so that's what I think of as "normal." It's hard for me to envision it with appetizing since that's so different from what I've always seen.

I guess my first thought when I read your post, though, was some sort of salmon -- I think that seems most like a meat entree to me, which again is what I'm most used to. Or maybe swordfish, since that's also a heavier meat (though I just looked like up and it seems like some people says that's kosher while some others say it's not?).
  • edited December 2011
    What about other types of latkes?  I've had zucchini made the same way, and it's delicious.  We usually have chips with various kinds of dips (hummus, salsa, and such), olives, pickles. 

I'd offer to let you know what we have after the two parties I'm going to, but they're not until Sunday, so I'm guessing that would be too late.

Have a Happy Hanukkah!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:28ce316f-7a54-44f3-a8bc-e2de3ec6a2ce">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any real suggestions, but just wanted to say this is an interesting question/discussion for me. I've always had latkes with brisket so that's what I think of as "normal." It's hard for me to envision it with appetizing since that's so different from what I've always seen. I guess my first thought when I read your post, though, was some sort of salmon -- I think that seems most like a meat entree to me, which again is what I'm most used to. Or maybe swordfish, since that's also a heavier meat (though I just looked like up and it seems like some people says that's kosher while some others say it's not?).
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

It's funny how everyone has different family traditions!  I grew up in a kosher house and keep a kosher home now, so, I couldn't even imagine latkes with brisket because then I couldn't have sour cream with them!  It's like people having chicken and macaroni and cheese together.  Blows my mind, lol!
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We always had our latkes with applesauce.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:ec1dcdbf-a947-4ddb-b4b1-52beca42a941">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]can you share your sufganiyot recipe?  you could do a sweet  kugel.
    Posted by Cyndi&Matt[/QUOTE]

Here are two delicious recipes, the first is a traditional sufganiyot (jelly donut), the second is actually a recipe for beignets, from the cookbook "Kosher by Design" by Susie Fishbein.  If you don't like jelly, then this could be a good alternative.

<a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/sufganiyot-jelly-doughnuts-200352">http://www.food.com/recipe/sufganiyot-jelly-doughnuts-200352</a>

beignets~

Ingredients:
    4-6 cups vegetable or corn oil
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    1 large egg
    3 cups all purpose flouer
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons sugar
    confectioners sugar
    *if you'd like, you can also cup up a firm banana into 1/2 inch slices and make half of the batch plain and half with bananas.

Pour the oil into a deep ot to a depth of 3-4 inches.  Heat the oil to 370 degrees.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl with the mixer at a medium high speed, combine the milk, water and egg.  Add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Mix until the batter is smooth.

Using a 1/8 cup measure, drop the batter into the hot oil and fry about 3-4 minutes.  Don't make them much bigger or the inside won't cook properly.  The beignets will float to the surface; turn them a few times until the beignets are golden on both sides.  Drain on paper towels and either roll in or use a strainer to sprinkle on confectioner's sugar.  Serve hot.

To make banana beignets, fill the 1/8 cup measure halfway full.  Add a slice of banana, fill the rest of the way with batter.  Fry as directed above.  Roll in confectioner's sugar.

Makes 20-24 beignets.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:06f45fe9-349c-45c4-9c5a-79d8f127d2e2">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]We always do appetizing with latkes - lox, baked salmon, whitefish, herring, bagels, etc...... Basically, for us, the latkes are the side dish.
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

cool i was thinking maybe i'd make some salmon, good idea!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:28ce316f-7a54-44f3-a8bc-e2de3ec6a2ce">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any real suggestions, but just wanted to say this is an interesting question/discussion for me. I've always had latkes with brisket so that's what I think of as "normal." It's hard for me to envision it with appetizing since that's so different from what I've always seen. I guess my first thought when I read your post, though, was some sort of salmon -- I think that seems most like a meat entree to me, which again is what I'm most used to. Or maybe swordfish, since that's also a heavier meat (though I just looked like up and it seems like some people says that's kosher while some others say it's not?).
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

I love my latkes with sour cream, otherwise chicken or brisket would be great.  Growing up not kosher, I used to eat chicken with my latkes!  Yeah, swordfish is tricky. I believe that the baby swordfish still have scales but the adults shed them so most people wouldn't eat it as far as i know. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:53e2aa9d-60a2-476d-ad4b-41d92ceb7476">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas : It's funny how everyone has different family traditions!  I grew up in a kosher house and keep a kosher home now, so, I couldn't even imagine latkes with brisket because then I couldn't have sour cream with them!  It's like people having chicken and macaroni and cheese together.  Blows my mind, lol!
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

lol i agree, and there is no way i am having the fake tofutti sour cream, i want the real thing!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hanukkah-menu-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:a436f729-04d4-4b3b-92c7-6fa60d30f01cPost:a1b76def-cdb2-4b9f-a69d-c320fa28e01b">Re: Hanukkah Menu Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]We always had our latkes with applesauce.
    Posted by colourz[/QUOTE]

i like both applesauce and sour cream.  last year DH made applesauce from scratch, maybe i can get him to do that this year!
  • Cyndi&MattCyndi&Matt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards