Chit Chat
Options

Change the date due to family conflict??!

My future sister in law is demanding that we change the date because the date we selected is too close to her anniversary! (One day apart). We’ve already reserved our venue—and to change the date I would have to select another venue b/c of availability. In addition, the venue is a rose garden. If we moved the date to another month (the only other dates left at this point) then it would either be too hot in July or the roses not in full bloom in May.  In reality, our wedding is really only family members and a few close friends (less than 35 guests), but I have done a lot of planning already. Our reception venue is selected, the caterer is booked, the photographer, and both our priest and our pastor are flying in from out of state, and they both had the date available. I was almost done planning! To start over would be madness at this point…we are only 6 months away!  To be honest, we did not check the date with family to begin with. Both sets of our parents are retired and available, and our siblings are within an hour drive, so we figured they could adjust their schedules. Am I wrong to want one day to be my own, and to not have to compromise it because of a family conflict???? 

Re: Change the date due to family conflict??!

• Options
    Tell your FSIL to shove it.

Politely, of course.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    No, your FSIL is being ridiculous...  Just out of curiosity, though, does she want you to change the date because she a) already has some big anniversary trip/event planned that would cause her to miss your wedding, or b) doesn't want to "share" her date with you?  
  • Options
    I'm willing to wager that it has to do with sharing the date.

• Options
    I agree with Mrs. B, she should relax and let you have whatever wedding date you please.

In reality, you probably should've checked with the "important people" but whatever. If you had barely planned I'd say maybe, if it was that important to her, especially if she had a big trip or something, you could change it.

But seelecting a new venue, changing flight plans, etc, is ridiculous. Keep your date.

Maybe have FI talk to her since it's his sister after all.

She's ridiculous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_change-date-due-family-conflict?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ebc90929-4862-423b-b69f-d26c6d8da3b1Post:7cec32cb-932c-4a2a-b573-f70712b89a53">Re: Change the date due to family conflict??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell your FSIL to shove it. Politely, of course.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

This.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options

Originally it was because the date (6.19.10) is the DAY BEFORE her anniversary (6.20.1999).

NOW she's saying that they haven't taken a long vacation in years (they're both doctors, and she has her own practice, so that could be partial reality) and that they had an elaborate week-long vacation planned for THAT weekend. But, she didn't tell any of us about it, and yet I'M the B**** for not asking HER first!!!  REALLY????Yell

• Options
    If they can't make it, then that would be sad. However, they could have said something before you set the date and put down deposits. THEY have the choice to make here, not you. They can either attend or not attend. they can also leave on their trip after your wedding. June is far enough out for them not to have made non-refundable reservations yet.

And they don't OWN any date. Many couples will be getting married that day, evidenced by the fact that there are more than 365 married couples in the world.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Well, if she didn't tell people about it she can't expect that you would just magically know what her plans were.  Tell her you'll change for her if she pays for the broken contracts with your vendors.

In retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to check with immediate family first but there's nothing you can do about that now.  Besides, if that's the only conflict you have with that date, that's good.  Any other date and you could have had numerous conflicts.

• Options
    Yeah, June?  They can change their plans.  They can leave on Sunday (assuming your wedding is on Sat) and come home the following Sunday.  I srsly doubt that she's paid any money on her vacation this far out.

• Options
    its her anniversary, not her actual wedding day! tell her to get over herself, politely of course. What is the big deal? I'm getting married on my mom's and FMIL's birthday, I did check with them because of course its their actual birthday, but for you to have to check with your FSIL because of an anniversary, thats crazy!

oh and i just read the part about the vacation, if she didnt tell anybody about it and when you booked the date she didnt say anything right that second as soon as she found out, she's got nothing to complain about.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_change-date-due-family-conflict?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ebc90929-4862-423b-b69f-d26c6d8da3b1Post:756a233f-f457-4909-aeb0-f792b3b19d89">Re: Change the date due to family conflict??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Originally it was because the date (6.19.10) is the DAY BEFORE her anniversary (6.20.1999). NOW she's saying that they haven't taken a long vacation in years (they're both doctors, and she has her own practice, so that could be partial reality) and that they had an elaborate week-long vacation planned for THAT weekend. But, she didn't tell any of us about it, and yet I'M the B**** for not asking HER first!!!  REALLY????
    Posted by bjdavis511[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, I can see her point of view better now...  Why didn't you check with all the "must be there" guests before you chose your date?  </div><div>
    </div><div>It's not her responsibility to run possible vacation dates by you just because you got engaged.  You should have run possible wedding dates by your close family members, though...
    </div><div>
    </div><div>What's done is done, however, and hopefully it won't be too difficult for her to change their vacation.  I would apologize profusely for "forgetting" to ask about date conflicts, but let her know that you're too far in to change the date at this point.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for your thoughts. I can really feel "bride-zilla" coming out on this one!!!! It makes me crazy and sick at the same time to think after all the work I've done, that she can just stomp her foot and throw a hissy fit and get her way... it's really a principal issue believe it or not... if I give in, am I setting a pattern to do that for the rest of our lives?? That my SIL can always get what she wants when it comes to holidays, etc... Line-in-the-sand-moment....
  • Options
    I find it interesting that her husband hasn't said anything.    Or at least you haven't shared what he's said.  It sounds like she's using this to throw her weight around a bit.  Does the date bother him?

• Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2009
    Meh, I'd tell her to shove it (nicely, of course).  With the vaca thing, I'd tell her that you understand if she's already made reservations and can't make it.

But I don't know anyone that has already booked a vacation for the summer already 6 months in advance.  It really sounds like the vacation is an excuse, she doesn't want to share.
  • Options
    I'm sure she'll get over it after this one year where it actually effects her anniversary. She already had her wedding, she can get over it. This is your wedding and you should ask her if she would do the same for you if the situation was reversed - probably not! It's NOT the same day, and if it was, then most people would consider that a neat family thing. Anniversaries do not take priority unless they are 50 year or something like that.
    http://mrsdanielparsons.weebly.com Can't figure out the HTML stuff ^^ That's my bio!
  • Options
    I think she's being a big-ol' baby.  They can go on vacay the week after your wedding.  It's not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    Do not change it!  The fact that you said originally it was about the date and NOW it's about the vacation leads me to believe that she didn't tell you about the vacation until a little ways after she found out about the date.  If she had already put money down on a vacation, she would have told you as soon as she found out about the date, not later.  She's probably just using that as an added excuse.  Anyway, if she's planning on taking a week off anyway, she could go the week after your wedding unless she already paid for the trip.

On another note, I'm guessing this is your FI's sister.  If so, have you discussed with your FI what he wants to do?  If it's very important to him that she be there and she won't budge, you might have to compromise, even though I think that's really unfair if she's just being difficult because of the anniversaries being close together.
  • Options
    she is being ridiculous.  I got married the day before my parents 40th anniversary.  If I had not gotten married they would have done a huge vacation. Instead they took one at a later date.  Not a big deal. 

My sister got married on my cousin's anniversary date.   They came to the wedding, no hard feelings.  They loved they got an awesome meal, dancing and party for free.  We all (including my sister) ackownledge their anniversary.

My aunt got married on my grandparent's annviersary.  Again no DRAMA.

Keep on planning and just ignore her.  If they choose the vacation over your wedding. So be it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ok you do not need to run by your wedding date with your guests and their schedules. you need to go with what works for you and your FI. I say do not change the date has you have things signed and contracted so she wil just have to make that decision if she and husband are going to attend your wedding or do their vacation.

You stick with what you got and say that this is not up for discussion the wedding is this day and that is where it will be left at. I would love for you to be with us on our day but that decision will be yours to make. Then no more discussing this. I would never change my date unless it was an emergency within my family. Otherwise it is what it is.GL
  • Options
    We set our wedding date, we let people know when it was, and if they can't come , they can't come. There's no way we'd ask everyone what their plans were for next year. If she had this booked or was planning it so far out, SHE should have asked you "Are you kicking around any dates?  Just wondering because I am planning an elaborate anniversary vacation..." blah blah blah. I think she's just being a whiny biitch so don't apologize and don't switch your date.  FI's older brothers have the same anniversary date (5 years apart) and it's fine.  She's trying to be a princess.
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards