Florida-West Coast
Options

How Formal? Invitation Addresses

How formal were you with your invitation addresses?  I'm driving myself crazy over Mr and Mrs, nicknames or no, knowing how FI's manager spells her crazy kid's name, etc.  Did you strictly follow etiquette or sway from it?
Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It

Re: How Formal? Invitation Addresses

• Options
    jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How formal is your wedding?  If it's more casual, then I think you can bend the etiquette rules a bit.  Our guest list wasn't too tricky.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm strictly traditional. However, I'm having a semi-formal wedding. If yours is more casual, by all means relax a bit but I wouldn't do nicknames. I would want people to take the invitation seriously.
  • Options
    corstinkcorstink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If i didn't know how to address the person I would just use their last name...Mr. so and so...

• Options
    jennifer80808jennifer80808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't meaning like true nicknames...I'm just stuck on a few.  We don't know for sure if "Tony" is Anthony or if "Vinnie" is truly Vincent.  

The wedding isn't really formal at all - it's a big wedding but we are NOT formal people by any means.  The only time I've ever noticed an invitation no no was when my BFF of 20 years sent me an invite that said "and guest" and FI and I had been together 6 years and living together 5 years! 
    Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with the old standard and I think is the safest.

Outside
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Inside
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith

with children
    Outside
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Inside
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Susie and Samantha

I'm dealing with a lady at Crane's and I'm just doing what she tells me.Smile
  • Options
    dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding was formal and I went with the traditional addresses.  The PP listed it out in an easy format.  Just make sure you put children in order of oldest to youngest on the inside envelope.  If you have any doctors, be sure to make that distinction.

A great website is Elaine's Bridal Boutique in Bradenton.  She has a section for invites and it listes every possible way to write an invite properly with every situation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I followed etiquette...I figuered better to paly it safe! 
    On March 13, 2010 I reaffirmed the LOVE that I have for the MOST important man in my LIFE! And now it is Happily ever after...forever!!!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another knottie a while back suggested this website to me and I found it really helpful, maybe it will help you too.

http://www.calligraphybycarrie.com/images/noregrets.pdf

if that pdf link doesn't work, try this one

http://www.calligraphybycarrie.com/ettiquette.html

I didn't use inner envelopes, so I added children's names and/or guest to the outside envelope.

GL
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are wearing a wedding dress and your groom is wearing a tux and you are having a traditional formal wedding with dinner/dance reception, then your invitations will be formal, with formal addressing on the envelope.

If you are getting married in a white T-shirt and white shorts next to a hot air balloon like my friend Connie did, then your party invitations are casual and the envelope addressing is casual.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards